Football, Sports

Students react to ticket policy changes

The University of Miami Athletics Department implemented a new ticketing system for UM students who attend Hurricanes football games throughout the 2018 season. The new procedure requires students to reserve their ticket online at least one day prior to game day and show their Cane card.

Many students have mixed feelings about the new policy and had different expectations going into the game.

“I think the new ticketing policy is a very good idea,” said Andrew Burkly, a senior who experienced the old ticketing policy for the past three years. “It gives everything a sense of organization. By the time you get to the stadium, you are guaranteed to get in.”

Many fans anticipated extended waiting times to enter the stadium because of the policy change because students are now required to show both their Cane card and ticket that was reserved online.

“It was easier than I expected it to be,” sophomore Haley Nepple said. “I was a little upset about it because I liked how I was able to just walk in and show my student ID last year. But, it was super easy to get into the stadium.”

Students said they found it easy it to locate the student ticket page and reserve their seats.

“Tickets were very easy to obtain,” Burkly said. “All the directions and steps were laid out very easily.”

While many students said they were pleased with the new change, there was one problem others encountered when trying to obtain their ticket.

Peter Aronson, a sophomore, said many of his friends didn’t go to the game because they did not make their ticket reservation on time.

“It doesn’t seem necessary for most games and it seems like it will hurt student attendance,” Aronson said.

Although many top football programs across the nation have similar student ticket processes, many UM students said they miss the old process.

“I prefer the old way just because it was easier,” said sophomore Rakhi Mira Patel. “All I had to do was show my ID before.”

While fans can print out their tickets to the game, many students decided to keep their ticket on their phone, via Apple Wallet or using an emailed mobile ticket.

“I thought it was kind of inconvenient,” senior Vincent LaBarbara said. “I’d rather use my Cane Card to get in just in case my phone dies at a tailgate.”

Going forward, some students remain concerned about ticket availability for marquee matchups against ACC rivals.

“I have a feeling that for the FSU game, it will be a lot more difficult to obtain a ticket,” Nepple said.

Miami will play its second home game of the season against crosstown foe Florida International University at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 22 at Hard Rock Stadium. Student tickets will be available midnight Sept. 16 on hurricanesports.com

Maxwell Trink

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...