Football, Sports

Students react to ticket policy changes

The University of Miami Athletics Department implemented a new ticketing system for UM students who attend Hurricanes football games throughout the 2018 season. The new procedure requires students to reserve their ticket online at least one day prior to game day and show their Cane card.

Many students have mixed feelings about the new policy and had different expectations going into the game.

“I think the new ticketing policy is a very good idea,” said Andrew Burkly, a senior who experienced the old ticketing policy for the past three years. “It gives everything a sense of organization. By the time you get to the stadium, you are guaranteed to get in.”

Many fans anticipated extended waiting times to enter the stadium because of the policy change because students are now required to show both their Cane card and ticket that was reserved online.

“It was easier than I expected it to be,” sophomore Haley Nepple said. “I was a little upset about it because I liked how I was able to just walk in and show my student ID last year. But, it was super easy to get into the stadium.”

Students said they found it easy it to locate the student ticket page and reserve their seats.

“Tickets were very easy to obtain,” Burkly said. “All the directions and steps were laid out very easily.”

While many students said they were pleased with the new change, there was one problem others encountered when trying to obtain their ticket.

Peter Aronson, a sophomore, said many of his friends didn’t go to the game because they did not make their ticket reservation on time.

“It doesn’t seem necessary for most games and it seems like it will hurt student attendance,” Aronson said.

Although many top football programs across the nation have similar student ticket processes, many UM students said they miss the old process.

“I prefer the old way just because it was easier,” said sophomore Rakhi Mira Patel. “All I had to do was show my ID before.”

While fans can print out their tickets to the game, many students decided to keep their ticket on their phone, via Apple Wallet or using an emailed mobile ticket.

“I thought it was kind of inconvenient,” senior Vincent LaBarbara said. “I’d rather use my Cane Card to get in just in case my phone dies at a tailgate.”

Going forward, some students remain concerned about ticket availability for marquee matchups against ACC rivals.

“I have a feeling that for the FSU game, it will be a lot more difficult to obtain a ticket,” Nepple said.

Miami will play its second home game of the season against crosstown foe Florida International University at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 22 at Hard Rock Stadium. Student tickets will be available midnight Sept. 16 on hurricanesports.com

Maxwell Trink

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...