Movies

“Love, Simon” screening offers personal connections for the student audience

Though Cosford Cinema wasn’t fully packed Thursday night, the theater’s first screening of top-grossing Fox film Love, Simon elicited plenty of responses from students in the audience.

The LGBTQ+ coming-of-age story centers around Simon, a very average teen with a very average family living a very average life. There’s just one thing no one knows: He’s gay. When his secret is threatened, Simon, played by Nick Robinson, must deal with his own feelings as well as those of his classmates, friends, and family, all while keeping up an anonymous online relationship.

A corny yet inclusive take on a typical teen love story, the film came to Cosford six months after its release in March—but the audience at UM’s screening was still enthralled. During serious moments, the theater was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. During shocking scenes, gasps cluttered the air. Romantic scenes prompted “oohs” and “awws” from the audience, and when the main character Simon finally found the boy he loves, a round of applause spread across the room.

For sophomore Zoe Prescod, the movie hit close to home. “I cried because it was relatable,” she said. “I haven’t come out to my father because I’m terrified to do that, but the scene where he came out makes me think it might not be that bad. I’m glad the school showed it because it shows they’re supportive. Other schools, more conservative ones, may have been very against it, but ours wasn’t, and they did it for free so everyone would be welcome.”

Hurricane Productions and the Cinematic Arts Commission have partnered up to offer twice-weekly screenings of new releases and classic movies for all UM students. Admission is free with a Cane card.

With the success of movies like Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name, and now Love, Simon, senior Allison Kadampelil said it’s easy to forget that the LGBTQ+ community is still often erased or used as tokens in the entertainment industry.

“I think ‘Love, Simon’ is the cute, queer movie we needed. It shed some light on coming out to people who typically don’t have to [come out],” Kadampelil said.

Others, like senior Tamara Popovska, kept their opinions very simple. “It’s a damn good movie,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

• What: HP and CAC movie screenings
  • When: Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 p.m.
  • Where: Bill Cosford Cinema, 5030 Brunson Dr, Coral Gables, FL 33146
  • Cost: Free to all UM students with Cane card
  • Contact: Visit cosfordcinema.com or the Cinematic Arts Commission Facebook page for movie listings.

Correction, 1:47 p.m., Sept. 19, 2018: This article previously stated that main character Simon was played by Keiynan Lonsdale. Simon is actually played by Nick Robinson, while Lonsdale plays Bram.

Jordan Lewis

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...