Movies

“Love, Simon” screening offers personal connections for the student audience

Though Cosford Cinema wasn’t fully packed Thursday night, the theater’s first screening of top-grossing Fox film Love, Simon elicited plenty of responses from students in the audience.

The LGBTQ+ coming-of-age story centers around Simon, a very average teen with a very average family living a very average life. There’s just one thing no one knows: He’s gay. When his secret is threatened, Simon, played by Nick Robinson, must deal with his own feelings as well as those of his classmates, friends, and family, all while keeping up an anonymous online relationship.

A corny yet inclusive take on a typical teen love story, the film came to Cosford six months after its release in March—but the audience at UM’s screening was still enthralled. During serious moments, the theater was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. During shocking scenes, gasps cluttered the air. Romantic scenes prompted “oohs” and “awws” from the audience, and when the main character Simon finally found the boy he loves, a round of applause spread across the room.

For sophomore Zoe Prescod, the movie hit close to home. “I cried because it was relatable,” she said. “I haven’t come out to my father because I’m terrified to do that, but the scene where he came out makes me think it might not be that bad. I’m glad the school showed it because it shows they’re supportive. Other schools, more conservative ones, may have been very against it, but ours wasn’t, and they did it for free so everyone would be welcome.”

Hurricane Productions and the Cinematic Arts Commission have partnered up to offer twice-weekly screenings of new releases and classic movies for all UM students. Admission is free with a Cane card.

With the success of movies like Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name, and now Love, Simon, senior Allison Kadampelil said it’s easy to forget that the LGBTQ+ community is still often erased or used as tokens in the entertainment industry.

“I think ‘Love, Simon’ is the cute, queer movie we needed. It shed some light on coming out to people who typically don’t have to [come out],” Kadampelil said.

Others, like senior Tamara Popovska, kept their opinions very simple. “It’s a damn good movie,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

• What: HP and CAC movie screenings
  • When: Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 p.m.
  • Where: Bill Cosford Cinema, 5030 Brunson Dr, Coral Gables, FL 33146
  • Cost: Free to all UM students with Cane card
  • Contact: Visit cosfordcinema.com or the Cinematic Arts Commission Facebook page for movie listings.

Correction, 1:47 p.m., Sept. 19, 2018: This article previously stated that main character Simon was played by Keiynan Lonsdale. Simon is actually played by Nick Robinson, while Lonsdale plays Bram.

Jordan Lewis

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...