Community, Food

7 foods to keep on hand for hurricane season

While Hurricane Irma meant an impromptu three-week break for some UM students, many Canes had no option other than to stay in South Florida and brave the storm. Amidst the blackouts and water shortages, there was still one thing on everyone’s – food. Ordering in wasn’t an option due to a never-ending list of restaurant closures, and dangerous storm conditions made grocery shopping impossible.

Here are seven foods to keep on hand this hurricane season:

1. Macaroni and Cheese and Ramen Noodle Soup

Easy Mac and Ramen are both quick and easy to make. So these were go-tos for families that had access to a generator or were able to seize a rare moment when power returned.

IMG_4480.JPG

2. Bottled water and juice boxes

Though they don’t technically qualify as food, water and juice can’t be left out. Families guzzled water to stay hydrated and drank juice to get a little happiness amidst the chaos.

http://gty.im/88624539

3. Chips

Though they provide little to no nutritional value, comfort foods are a must, especially when surviving a hurricane. Power or no power, chips will always be there in your time of need.

IMG_4467.JPG

4. Peanut butter and Nutella

Peanut butter and Nutella both have incredible shelf lives, are tasty, and are somewhat nutritious- the perfect recipe for Irma-proof snacks.

Embed from Getty Images

5. Candy

Although candy is definitely not an essential portion of the food pyramid, it helped many students keep their sanity during these difficult times.

Embed from Getty Images

6. Fruit

After all the candy and chips, students needed something to balance their diet.

IMG_4479.JPG

7. Bread

Not only does bread taste good, it also keeps you full for extended periods of time, which made it the perfect go-to for families and students running low on food.

http://gty.im/940610846

Osarume Ikhinmwin

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...