Community, Food

7 foods to keep on hand for hurricane season

While Hurricane Irma meant an impromptu three-week break for some UM students, many Canes had no option other than to stay in South Florida and brave the storm. Amidst the blackouts and water shortages, there was still one thing on everyone’s – food. Ordering in wasn’t an option due to a never-ending list of restaurant closures, and dangerous storm conditions made grocery shopping impossible.

Here are seven foods to keep on hand this hurricane season:

1. Macaroni and Cheese and Ramen Noodle Soup

Easy Mac and Ramen are both quick and easy to make. So these were go-tos for families that had access to a generator or were able to seize a rare moment when power returned.

IMG_4480.JPG

2. Bottled water and juice boxes

Though they don’t technically qualify as food, water and juice can’t be left out. Families guzzled water to stay hydrated and drank juice to get a little happiness amidst the chaos.

http://gty.im/88624539

3. Chips

Though they provide little to no nutritional value, comfort foods are a must, especially when surviving a hurricane. Power or no power, chips will always be there in your time of need.

IMG_4467.JPG

4. Peanut butter and Nutella

Peanut butter and Nutella both have incredible shelf lives, are tasty, and are somewhat nutritious- the perfect recipe for Irma-proof snacks.

Embed from Getty Images

5. Candy

Although candy is definitely not an essential portion of the food pyramid, it helped many students keep their sanity during these difficult times.

Embed from Getty Images

6. Fruit

After all the candy and chips, students needed something to balance their diet.

IMG_4479.JPG

7. Bread

Not only does bread taste good, it also keeps you full for extended periods of time, which made it the perfect go-to for families and students running low on food.

http://gty.im/940610846

Osarume Ikhinmwin

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...