Academics, Campus Life, Cover, News

Law school evacuated after air conditioner malfunctions

_DSC5541.jpg

More than a dozen first responders arrived at Miller Drive around 2 p.m. Wednesday after a malfunctioning air conditioner belt sent smoke into a law school building. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

The UM School of Law was temporarily evacuated Wednesday afternoon when a ruptured air conditioner belt caused smoke to pour through the vents and into a student lounge.

Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alfie Hernandez said there was no actual fire, the building was fully evacuated and no one was injured. The malfunction occurred at around 2 p.m. in building F, which has been temporarily closed until the smoke is fully cleared.

Students who were in the building said once the smoke started rolling in, fire alarms sounded and students and faculty were directed to evacuate across Miller Drive. UMPD and over a dozen Coral Gables first responders were on scene within minutes.

_DSC5644-2.jpg

Coral Gables firefighters grab gear from their vehicle in front of the law school Wednesday. The area was evacuated until first responders could determine the cause of the smoke emanating from air vents in law building F, which was discovered to be a malfunctioning air conditioner. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

“We left the room, but there were people like running back in to rescue their stuff,” law student Steven Hibbe said.

Staff in the law school’s Information Technology department placed the initial call to facilities, who then contacted emergency services. The library, where the IT office is located, remained open throughout the evacuation process.

Buildings A and C were also unaffected and were reopened as soon as the fire department cleared the scene. Building E is open but remains “under observation,” law professor Dreta Fleming said, and building F is closed until further notice.

A message from law school Associate Dean James Bond was sent to students within the hour, indicating that all classes held in building F are canceled for the day, and a decision regarding classes for the following day has yet to be made.

“Moving forward, the issue is comfort, and we will be working with our law school and central facilities departments to determine how we can maintain reasonable temperatures in the building until the AC can be repaired,” he said.

Screenshot

UM law students received a message regarding the evacuation of all law school buildings Wednesday afternoon. Classes in the affected building were cancelled for the remainder of the day.

Emily Dulohery

Emily Dulohery can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com or on Twitter at @edulohery.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...