Academics, Campus Life, Cover, News

Law school evacuated after air conditioner malfunctions

_DSC5541.jpg

More than a dozen first responders arrived at Miller Drive around 2 p.m. Wednesday after a malfunctioning air conditioner belt sent smoke into a law school building. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

The UM School of Law was temporarily evacuated Wednesday afternoon when a ruptured air conditioner belt caused smoke to pour through the vents and into a student lounge.

Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alfie Hernandez said there was no actual fire, the building was fully evacuated and no one was injured. The malfunction occurred at around 2 p.m. in building F, which has been temporarily closed until the smoke is fully cleared.

Students who were in the building said once the smoke started rolling in, fire alarms sounded and students and faculty were directed to evacuate across Miller Drive. UMPD and over a dozen Coral Gables first responders were on scene within minutes.

_DSC5644-2.jpg

Coral Gables firefighters grab gear from their vehicle in front of the law school Wednesday. The area was evacuated until first responders could determine the cause of the smoke emanating from air vents in law building F, which was discovered to be a malfunctioning air conditioner. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

“We left the room, but there were people like running back in to rescue their stuff,” law student Steven Hibbe said.

Staff in the law school’s Information Technology department placed the initial call to facilities, who then contacted emergency services. The library, where the IT office is located, remained open throughout the evacuation process.

Buildings A and C were also unaffected and were reopened as soon as the fire department cleared the scene. Building E is open but remains “under observation,” law professor Dreta Fleming said, and building F is closed until further notice.

A message from law school Associate Dean James Bond was sent to students within the hour, indicating that all classes held in building F are canceled for the day, and a decision regarding classes for the following day has yet to be made.

“Moving forward, the issue is comfort, and we will be working with our law school and central facilities departments to determine how we can maintain reasonable temperatures in the building until the AC can be repaired,” he said.

Screenshot

UM law students received a message regarding the evacuation of all law school buildings Wednesday afternoon. Classes in the affected building were cancelled for the remainder of the day.

Emily Dulohery

Emily Dulohery can be reached via email at emily@themiamihurricane.com or on Twitter at @edulohery.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...