Community, News, Obituaries

Student dies in residential college during second week of classes

Roman Deana, a UM senior majoring in biomedical engineering, died Tuesday at 3:16 p.m. in Pearson Residential College. The cause of death has not been released.

Other students living in Pearson said several officers were present Tuesday afternoon after classes, but students received no official communication from the university until Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Housing and Residential Life did not issue a separate statement Wednesday.

Deana, a Panama City, FL native, was also involved with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

In a statement sent to UM students, Vice President Patricia Whitely said the university is planning a memorial for Deana “in the near future.”

IMG_0172.jpg

A message from Vice President Patricia Whitely was sent to UM students Wednesday at 4 p.m.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Emily Dulohery

Emily Dulohery can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com or on Twitter at @edulohery.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...