Community, News, Obituaries

Student dies in residential college during second week of classes

Roman Deana, a UM senior majoring in biomedical engineering, died Tuesday at 3:16 p.m. in Pearson Residential College. The cause of death has not been released.

Other students living in Pearson said several officers were present Tuesday afternoon after classes, but students received no official communication from the university until Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Housing and Residential Life did not issue a separate statement Wednesday.

Deana, a Panama City, FL native, was also involved with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

In a statement sent to UM students, Vice President Patricia Whitely said the university is planning a memorial for Deana “in the near future.”

IMG_0172.jpg

A message from Vice President Patricia Whitely was sent to UM students Wednesday at 4 p.m.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Emily Dulohery

Emily Dulohery can be reached via email at emily@themiamihurricane.com or on Twitter at @edulohery.

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...