Community, News, Obituaries

Student dies in residential college during second week of classes

Roman Deana, a UM senior majoring in biomedical engineering, died Tuesday at 3:16 p.m. in Pearson Residential College. The cause of death has not been released.

Other students living in Pearson said several officers were present Tuesday afternoon after classes, but students received no official communication from the university until Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Housing and Residential Life did not issue a separate statement Wednesday.

Deana, a Panama City, FL native, was also involved with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

In a statement sent to UM students, Vice President Patricia Whitely said the university is planning a memorial for Deana “in the near future.”

IMG_0172.jpg

A message from Vice President Patricia Whitely was sent to UM students Wednesday at 4 p.m.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Emily Dulohery

Emily Dulohery can be reached via email at emily@themiamihurricane.com or on Twitter at @edulohery.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...