Campus Life, News, Student Organization

‘Canes After Dark’ lights up the new academic year

_DSC4989.jpg

UM students engage in a colorful glow-in-the-dark game of ping-pong during the “Glow What U Know” event Aug. 24 in the Shalala Student Center Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Last Friday, on Aug. 24, Canes Night Live lit up Shalala Student Center with the second Canes After Dark (CAD) event of this semester — “Glow What U Know.”

Canes Night Live (CNL) is one of seven Hurricane Productions committees responsible for planning events for the student body.

“Hurricane Productions is responsible for a lot of the entertainment on campus,” said Daniela Bermudez, the chair of CNL. “Canes Night Live, specifically, plans late night programs for the entire student body called ‘Canes After Dark.'”

At this month’s glow-in-the-dark-themed event, students could enjoy four hours of glow-in-the-dark cotton candy, airbrush tattoos, arcade games and t-shirts. They could also create wax hands and dance along with a silent disco.

_DSC5129.JPG

Students used multi-colored LED headphones that wirelessly transmitted the DJ’s playlist to participate in the silent disco Friday night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

For Leeanne Fang, a freshman nursing major, “Glow What U Know” was the first on-campus event she had attended since orientation.

“This is a really cool event, I love the lights and stuff,” she said. “There are bright colors everywhere, and it looks like people are socializing, I like that.”

Hurricane Productions handed out LED light-up glasses, glow sticks and LED headphones, which HP vice chair Henry Furst said have been well-received.

“Additions to the event series such as the wireless headphones have helped to make it more distinct and popular,” Furst said.

Giveaways also attract many students to CAD events. Free beanies, socks and waterproof speakers have been a big hit in the past, said Bermudez, a senior biology major.

According to Furst, a junior marketing major, there are many factors that go into promotion of CAD events, mainly because they are different in size, location and content.

“Once we’ve decided on a theme, we begin contacting vendors to get quotes and make bookings,” Bermudez said. “It’s a very detailed process that takes some time, but we work hard together to bring forth the best events for our students.”

Bermudez believes that CNL committee is reaching a large part of the student population on campus, but she said she is always looking forward to getting more students to attend future events.

Freshman chemistry major Stephanie Hoang said she’d like to be more aware of on-campus activities, as she came across “Glow What U Know” only by chance.

“If we’re more informed about events like this, I’d totally attend them,” she said.

To stay updated on upcoming CAD events, follow CNL on Facebook at facebook.com/CanesNightLive. The next Canes After Dark event, “90’s Skate Night,” will take place on Sept. 21. All CAD events are free to students with a Cane card.

CNL.png

Elina Katrin

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...