Sports, Volleyball

Hurricanes drop first match of season to Eagles

Following a dominant victory on opening night, the Hurricanes volleyball team struggled in their second game of the 2018 Sunshine State Challenge.

Miami dropped three consecutive sets to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles 20-25, 18-25, 22-25 to lose its first match of the year.

After Chloe Brown’s spectacular collegiate debut, the freshman struggled. Brown just tallied five kills on 28 attempts after having 19 kills the night prior.

“I don’t think she was in as many positions to score as she was last night,” coach Jose “Keno” Gandara said. “Chloe did a pretty good job relative to the situation she was in, but she wasn’t able to get a lot of kills.”

Outside hitters Cortney VanLiew and Amanda Carroll led the attack for FGCU (2-1). VanLiew and Carroll combined for 30 kills and 17 digs.

Hurricanes’ outside hitter Kolby Bird paced UM (1-1) with 11 kills but couldn’t get her team back into the match as the Eagles controlled the contest.

“I think we got a little too overconfident after last night,” Bird said. “We’re still new. We’re trying to find our groove and we are learning how to gel together.”

Redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton led the Canes with 27 assists in the match.

“[The seniors] have to really step up this year and be leaders,” Bird, who is one of three seniors on the squad, said. “I love being a leader and I think it’s fun to teach them everything.”

Despite such a young Miami team, Gandara believes UM has the talent to fill holes left from last season, including the departure of 2017 ACC Player of the Year Olga Strantzali.

“We love Olga,” Gandara said. “We wish we had her, but it’s a whole different team. We aren’t going to replace her, but we have some talent that can definitely make up for Olga’s talent. The freshmen are pretty composed, and they are ready to learn.”

FGCU will look to keep its winning streak alive in the LOBO Classic in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Eagles next match will be against the New Mexico State Aggies 12:30 p.m. Aug. 31 at the Johnson Center.

Miami returns to the court against the University of Central Florida Knights 7:30 p.m. Aug. 25 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Maxwell Trink

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...