News, Profiles

She’s a student, singer, nurse and aspiring fashion editor, despite odds

It’s 2 a.m., and University of Miami junior Aline Jean is working the night shift as a respiratory therapist at Jackson Memorial Ryder Trauma Center. When she gets off, she will only have a few short hours to complete her class assignments and get some rest for class later that day.

Working 40 hours each week while trying to get a degree in journalism and music business takes its toll, Jean said.

“It is really tough,” Jean said. “With everything, I have to give 100 percent. I can’t half step anything.”

Jean said she summons her spiritual foundation to make it through the day.

“When I wake up in the morning and I just meditate and spend quality time with the Lord, like my day just tends to go smooth,” Jean said. “I am ready for whatever the storm brings.”

Many would wonder why Jean would go back to school when she already has a career.

The answer – to follow her dreams.

Jean is working full time to pay for school and eventually start a women’s magazine, dedicated to women of all shapes and sizes. It would focus on faith and fashion. A singer, Jean also wants to break into the music industry and release an album.

“I can’t just stick to the safety of health care,” Jean said.

Jean, who hopes to have children some day, said she “couldn’t bring kids into this world and tell them to follow their dreams when mommy never did.”

Jean received her associate’s degree at Miami-Dade College’s Respiratory Care Program, a career she chose because she was born with bronchitis and her brother, born premature, died of a lung condition. When she went to college, she wanted to be in a field in which she could be like the professionals who changed her life as a child.

Nevertheless, after doing respiratory therapy for some time, Jean said she realized that it was not her passion: Singing and fashion were. She enrolled at UM as a full-time student and took on two majors – journalism and music business.

“You know, you just feel as though God is calling you to do something greater,” Jean said. “Not that what I am doing is not amazing. It is beautiful and rewarding to save lives, but I just felt like I just have to move on with my passion.”

Jean said she feels as though God is telling her to listen to her heart and to follow her dreams just like she did when she suffered from dyslexia as a child.

Her teachers – and even family members – discouraged Jean. Jean said her “reading level was not up to par” and in high school and middle school, she was told she’d never graduate with honors, get a scholarship or go to a university.

“But I did all of that,” Jean said.

D’Andre McIntyre

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...