News, Profiles

She’s a student, singer, nurse and aspiring fashion editor, despite odds

It’s 2 a.m., and University of Miami junior Aline Jean is working the night shift as a respiratory therapist at Jackson Memorial Ryder Trauma Center. When she gets off, she will only have a few short hours to complete her class assignments and get some rest for class later that day.

Working 40 hours each week while trying to get a degree in journalism and music business takes its toll, Jean said.

“It is really tough,” Jean said. “With everything, I have to give 100 percent. I can’t half step anything.”

Jean said she summons her spiritual foundation to make it through the day.

“When I wake up in the morning and I just meditate and spend quality time with the Lord, like my day just tends to go smooth,” Jean said. “I am ready for whatever the storm brings.”

Many would wonder why Jean would go back to school when she already has a career.

The answer – to follow her dreams.

Jean is working full time to pay for school and eventually start a women’s magazine, dedicated to women of all shapes and sizes. It would focus on faith and fashion. A singer, Jean also wants to break into the music industry and release an album.

“I can’t just stick to the safety of health care,” Jean said.

Jean, who hopes to have children some day, said she “couldn’t bring kids into this world and tell them to follow their dreams when mommy never did.”

Jean received her associate’s degree at Miami-Dade College’s Respiratory Care Program, a career she chose because she was born with bronchitis and her brother, born premature, died of a lung condition. When she went to college, she wanted to be in a field in which she could be like the professionals who changed her life as a child.

Nevertheless, after doing respiratory therapy for some time, Jean said she realized that it was not her passion: Singing and fashion were. She enrolled at UM as a full-time student and took on two majors – journalism and music business.

“You know, you just feel as though God is calling you to do something greater,” Jean said. “Not that what I am doing is not amazing. It is beautiful and rewarding to save lives, but I just felt like I just have to move on with my passion.”

Jean said she feels as though God is telling her to listen to her heart and to follow her dreams just like she did when she suffered from dyslexia as a child.

Her teachers – and even family members – discouraged Jean. Jean said her “reading level was not up to par” and in high school and middle school, she was told she’d never graduate with honors, get a scholarship or go to a university.

“But I did all of that,” Jean said.

D’Andre McIntyre

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...