Basketball, Cover, Sports

Miami Hurricanes’ Lonnie Walker IV selected 18th, Bruce Brown Jr. picked 42nd in NBA Draft

Former University of Miami standout guard Lonnie Walker IV was selected by the San Antonio Spurs with the 18th pick of the 2018 NBA Draft Thursday.

Walker IV is tied for Miami’s second-highest draft pick ever – Rick Barry was taken No. 2 in the 1965 draft. Former Hurricanes star and current Boston Celtics guard Shane Larkin was also taken No. 18 back in the 2013 draft.

“It’s extravagant,” Walker said on ESPN. “I can only thank my mom and dad and family and friends.”

The All-ACC freshman team selection averaged 11.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.9 assists in his lone season in Coral Gables.

“Day in and day out, I’m always going to progress as a man on and off the court,” the Reading, Pennsylvania, native said.

Hurricanes coach Jim Larrañaga and his staff were in attendance at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. In Reading, thousands of people crowded at the FirstEnergy Stadium to watch their hometown hero get drafted.

Walker’s UM teammate Bruce Brown Jr. was picked by the Detroit Pistons in the second round with the No. 42 selection. It is just the third time in program history — and the first time since 1970 — that two Miami players were selected in the same NBA draft.

“I’m not supposed to be here … A kid from Boston and I made it,” Brown told The Boston Globe. “I definitely want to prove myself. I think teams that passed on me will know during my career that they had a miss.”

As a sophomore, Brown averaged 11.4 points and a team-high 7.1 rebounds before suffering a season-ending left foot injury.

“He’s just a lovable kid,” Larrañaga said before the draft. “He’s fun to be around, he’s a great teammate and a great friend. He just smiles all the time, practices hard every day and wants to get better.”

Miami has had 20 NBA Draft selections previously, including four prior picks in the first round. Walker and Brown are the third and fourth draft picks at Miami under Larrañaga, joining Larkin and Davon Reed.

It is just the fifth time in program history that Miami players have been selected in back-to-back NBA Drafts. Reed was picked 32nd overall last season by the Phoenix Suns with the second pick of the second round.

June 21, 2018

Josh White

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...