Meant to be

I wasn’t even supposed to be here.

No, really. Me graduating from the University of Miami in three weeks? Never. Higher education for me was unattainable a little more than four years ago.

Or so I thought.

It’s not that I didn’t believe in myself or that high school didn’t prepare me well. But there were other hurdles beyond an application.

At 17, I had absolutely no idea how to apply to a college, what FAFSA meant or even how to study for the ACT.

My mom didn’t finish college. My dad didn’t go to college. And my older brother didn’t either. When I started my college applications at home, in a lot of ways, I was lost.

But if my parents could leave everything they knew and come to the United States with merely a distant dream for a prosperous future, I couldn’t let them down.

For the first two years of college, I didn’t know what I was doing. I was doing well in my classes but felt like I was missing something. That something turned out to be the talented and driven individuals that comprise The Miami Hurricane.

TMH has given me confidence and the ability to tell stories from voices not often heard.

Every person I’ve walked past in college has a story. TMH has afforded me the opportunity to get to know so many of you and tell your stories.

I’ve been able to work in the field that I’ve dreamt about since I was 5 years old, thanks to TMH. I’ve been able to tell the stories of so many remarkable people that walk across this campus every day. I’ve been able to cover some of recent history’s most monumental moments, including the Women’s March on Washington and the 2017 presidential inauguration.

But I couldn’t have done that without my family. Both my family at home and the little family we’ve cultivated at TMH.

As I’m on the cusp of graduation, I understand how truly lucky I am.

The experiences and opportunities I’ve had are some that students in El Salvador would never even imagine. And I’m here.

It’s hard not to feel guilty at times, but I’ve realized the best thing I can do is to use these valuable experiences to give back to those who I could have been, given other circumstances.

UM and TMH have given me the opportunity to do so in the future.

So maybe I was meant to be here.

Amanda Herrera will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in broadcast journalism and political science.

Amanda Herrera

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...