Senior Profiles 2018

Student looks to keep twin brother’s memory alive after graduation

14650561_1210022612401925_6126370982285426884_n.jpg

David Lin (left) and Rick Lin (right) stand outside of the Shalala Student Center in 2016. Photo Courtesy: Rick Lin

Rick and David Lin shared almost everything in life – from the womb to the same college major and university.

But when David Lin was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia, his twin brother would come to realize that the two would not share the joy of graduating together from the University of Miami, where they both have been heavily involved in campus organizations.

Rick Lin was spared the disease but not the anguish of seeing his brother suffer.

“My brother’s leukemia was pretty aggressive and different from typical acute leukemia,” Rick Lin said.

And it was unexpected. According to the American Cancer Society, the number of new cases of acute lymphocytic leukemia was 1.7 per 100,000 men and women per year.

Rick Lin, a public health major, researched the best possible treatment plan for his brother. He found a clinical trial at the National Institutes of Health in Maryland, where David Lin would receive his final treatment.

While Rick Lin felt optimistic, David’s condition continued to worsen.

David died in January 2017.

“When he passed away, I felt really guilty,” Lin said. “Well, not guilty but really hard on myself because I found this clinical trial, and looked what happened to him. I blamed myself.”

While many would turn away from the most painful moment in their life, Lin is using it to propel his mission – to help others using David’s story.

One of David’s favorite things to do in the hospital was read. So, Lin started David’s Library, a search engine for patients and the families of patients to find book drop-off locations. The goal is for patients to occupy themselves while undergoing treatment.

“Before this, I had never gone through anything so hard,” Lin said.

As he wraps up his senior year, Rick said he plans to expand the website to include a section for users to share their stories. It will be a way for people who are suffering from the same illness to connect with each other, he said.

Rachel Smith

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...