Senior Profiles 2018

Senior has no regrets about majoring in what she loves

IMG_0501.JPG

Annie Louk is a senior graduating in May 2018. She is double majoring in English literature and criminology. Upon graduation, she'll be attending law school.
Photo Courtesy: Annie Louk

At a time when STEM subjects are getting a lot of attention and attracting an increasing number of majors, Annie Louk said she couldn’t be happier that she majored in a subject she loves – English literature.

The 22-year-old student has struggled with the stigma of being a humanities major at a time when STEM subjects – science, technology, engineering and mathematics – and careers are being emphasized. Louk, who also has a Spanish minor, initially thought her interest in the humanities might be misplaced.

“As an avid reader throughout high school, I was really insecure about majoring in English because all of my friends were STEM majors, and a lot of people think humanities majors are useless,” Louk said. “But after taking a couple of classes here, I did not regret it. If you like something, you shouldn’t doubt it.”

But it is not that Louk could not be persuaded to consider other majors.

“I started taking criminology classes for a cognate, and I liked them so much that I added the major,” Louk said. “Something I tell everyone is to major in whatever you’re passionate about because, otherwise, what’s the point in doing something you don’t like?”

While Louk does not regret majoring in English, the interest she developed in her criminology major led her to her career choice. She is planning to attend law school in the fall.

Bayley Macnamara

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...