Senior Profiles 2018

Senior accepted into UM Law wasn’t always law school ready

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.22.34 PM.png

Senior Tyler Cianciulli was recently accepted into UM Law with a half-tuition scholarship.

Photo Courtesy: Tyler Cianciulli

With hopes of going to law school, Tyler Cianciulli knew he needed to maintain good grades and a high GPA.

Cianciulli transferred to the University of Miami after one year at Villanova University, but the transition was not easy.

“I wanted to go out a lot to meet new people since I transferred, which I did, and it took me away from my schoolwork,” Cianciulli said.

At the end of his sophomore year, Cianciulli met with Miami Business School Senior Advisor Karen Donno to schedule classes for junior year.

She told him something that made him feel like he was letting himself and his whole family down:

“Your grades are not good enough for you to get into law school.”

Cianciulli thought his world was crumbling and that all of his efforts and all-nighters had been pointless.

“Those words really hit me,” he said.

After a year and a half of hard work, studying and test taking, Cianciulli recently was accepted to UM Law, where he was awarded a half-tuition scholarship, but will be attending Touro Law School. He said he also was accepted at four other law schools with full scholarships.

Grateful that he made the remarkable academic turnaround, Cianculli credits Donno for the cold dose of reality.

“If she didn’t say those words to me, I don’t think I would have ever changed my ways,” Cianciulli said.

Christian Liljenquist

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...