Senior Profiles 2018

One of the faces of SG on leaving behind leadership positions

Adrian-mug.jpeg

Senior Adrian Nuñez knew he wanted to be involved in UM's Student Government before he even came to campus. He got involved in the Freshman Leadership Council his first year. Photo Courtesy: Adrian Nuñez

Even before arriving on campus, Adrian Nuñez reached out to a friend involved in Student Government at the University of Miami, asking how to get involved.

“It was one of those things that, coming into college, I knew that I wanted to do already,” said Nuñez, who was involved in Student Government and president of his senior class at Coral Reef Senior High School in Miami.

Nuñez started his work with UM’s Student Government on the Freshman Leadership Council, then the Senate. He leaves his alma mater as the outgoing SG president.

“It’s been really interesting to see what the administrative side of our university looks like and getting to form some relationships with them,” Nuñez said.

Hurricane Irma presented an unexpected and difficult task for the SG president. However, Nuñez said he was committed to keeping students informed and the campus resilient.

A commuter student all four years at UM, Nuñez said getting involved on campus – especially in leadership roles – forced him to learn how to plan his day.

But the pros of “going home to family, living in my own room and eating home-cooked meals” outweighed the “cons of the commute” – including South Florida’s grueling rush hour.

Although Nuñez said he is excited to graduate, leaving his favorite place won’t be easy. That’s why he’s considering returning to UM for a master’s degree in public administration.

“If I come back, there’s a whole other year for change and progress,” Nuñez said.

Dylan Kossar

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...