Senior Profiles 2018

One of the faces of SG on leaving behind leadership positions

Adrian-mug.jpeg

Senior Adrian Nuñez knew he wanted to be involved in UM's Student Government before he even came to campus. He got involved in the Freshman Leadership Council his first year. Photo Courtesy: Adrian Nuñez

Even before arriving on campus, Adrian Nuñez reached out to a friend involved in Student Government at the University of Miami, asking how to get involved.

“It was one of those things that, coming into college, I knew that I wanted to do already,” said Nuñez, who was involved in Student Government and president of his senior class at Coral Reef Senior High School in Miami.

Nuñez started his work with UM’s Student Government on the Freshman Leadership Council, then the Senate. He leaves his alma mater as the outgoing SG president.

“It’s been really interesting to see what the administrative side of our university looks like and getting to form some relationships with them,” Nuñez said.

Hurricane Irma presented an unexpected and difficult task for the SG president. However, Nuñez said he was committed to keeping students informed and the campus resilient.

A commuter student all four years at UM, Nuñez said getting involved on campus – especially in leadership roles – forced him to learn how to plan his day.

But the pros of “going home to family, living in my own room and eating home-cooked meals” outweighed the “cons of the commute” – including South Florida’s grueling rush hour.

Although Nuñez said he is excited to graduate, leaving his favorite place won’t be easy. That’s why he’s considering returning to UM for a master’s degree in public administration.

“If I come back, there’s a whole other year for change and progress,” Nuñez said.

Dylan Kossar

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...