Senior Profiles 2018

Graduating student’s love for architecture started with a lego set

Marcus-Riley-Photo.jpg

Marcus Riley is about to graduate from the School of Architecture’s five-year program. His love for the architectural field started with a lego set at a young age.
Photo Courtesy: Marcus Riley

When he was 12 years old, Marcus Riley’s parents gave him a Lego City building set for Christmas.

“It took me only two days to finish building the Lego City,” said Riley, who is completing the School of Architecture’s five-year program at the University of Miami. “That’s when I started to realize my passion for architecture.”

Throughout elementary and middle school, Riley enjoyed playing with Legos, which ignited his interest in designing and building small-scale cities.

After school, he would spend hours thinking of new ways to design and develop Lego sculptures. His grandmother, Jennifer Riley, would help him come up with new ideas and ways to create a new building or bridge.

“She would always help me create new Lego designs that differed from the directions in the Lego box set,” Riley said. “Her interest in my passion for architecture is what truly drove me to pursue it as a career.”

For his final senior design project, Riley is creating a model representation of a new downtown Miami convention center.

The project is the culmination of many nights of hard work, he said.

“Some of the hardest moments of my college career came from sitting in the School of Architecture studios for entire nights, focused on perfecting my blueprint designs,” Riley said.

The idea that his college career is almost over, is “finally sinking in.”

“It feels that just yesterday I was with my grandma with my Lego set,” Riley said. “Now I’m sending out my resume to a number of construction companies. It’s kind of scary, honestly.”

Robert Bass Jr.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...