Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes drop series finale to Tigers

The Hurricanes have struggled this season, but against one of the best teams in the country, they held their own. Miami beat No. 8 Clemson in back-to-back contests to clinch a series victory.

But on Saturday night at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, the Tigers’ offense roared their way to an 8-3 win on their home turf.

Clemson (26-10, 11-7 ACC) scored seven runs in the fifth inning, capped off by a grand slam by senior slugger Chris Williams that proved to be the difference. It was Williams’ second grand slam of the weekend.

The Hurricanes (15-20, 9-9 ACC) didn’t record a hit off of Tigers’ starter Jake Higginbotham (5-1) after the second inning. The southpaw gave up two runs in 7 1/3 innings pitched and totaled eight strikeouts to go along with five walks.

Miami opened up the scoring with two runs in the second, but it wasn’t enough.

Outfielder Michael Burns doubled down the right-field line, plating Isaac Quiñones. After Burns stole third, fellow veteran Hunter Tackett brought him home with an RBI groundout to shortstop.

The Hurricanes pushed across a run off the Tigers’ bullpen in the ninth inning to cut the deficit thanks to a Freddy Zamora RBI single.

Junior right-hander Andrew Cabezas (3-4) pitched 5 2/3 innings and surrendered a career-high eight runs, seven of which were earned, on six hits. He struck out nine Tigers in the defeat.

Catchers from both sides made offensive impacts. Quiñones finished 2-for-4, his ninth multi-hit performance of the season, and scored once, while Clemson catcher Kyle Wilkie went 2-for-3 and came across to score three times.

The loss snapped UM’s regular-season winning streak over Clemson at 10 games.

Miami will look to pick up a non-conference victory against Florida Gulf Coast University at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, at Mark Light Field.

The Tigers will visit the Georgia Bulldogs at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 17, at Foley Field.

Maxwell Trink

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...