Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes lose in final game to Tigers but win series

The Hurricanes have struggled this season, but against one of the best teams in the country, they held their own.

After clinching its fourth consecutive series victory over the Clemson Tigers with a 6-1 win in game one of a doubleheader Saturday, April 14, Miami’s struggles returned in the series finale.

No. 8 Clemson scored eight unanswered runs, and UM couldn’t mount a rally, allowing the Tigers to roar their way to an 8-3 victory at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.

Clemson (26-10, 11-7 ACC) scored seven runs in the fifth inning, capped off by a grand slam by senior first baseman Chris Williams that proved to be the difference. It was the second grand slam for Williams in the series.

The Hurricanes (15-20, 9-9 ACC) opened up the scoring with two runs in the second inning, but it wasn’t enough.

Redshirt senior Michael Burns doubled down the right-field line, plating Isaac Quiñones. After Burns stole third, fellow veteran outfielder Hunter Tackett brought him home with an RBI groundout to shortstop.

Miami didn’t record a hit off Tigers’ starter Jake Higginbotham (5-1) after the second inning. The redshirt sophomore southpaw gave up two runs in 7 1/3 innings pitched and totaled eight strikeouts to go along with five walks.

The Hurricanes pushed across a run off the Tigers’ bullpen in the ninth inning to cut the deficit thanks to a Freddy Zamora RBI single.

Junior right-hander Andrew Cabezas (3-4) pitched 5 2/3 innings and surrendered a career-high eight runs, seven of which were earned, on six hits. He struck out nine Tigers in the defeat.

Catchers from both sides made offensive impacts. Quiñones finished 2-for-4, his ninth multi-hit performance of the season, and scored once, while Clemson catcher Kyle Wilkie went 2-for-3 and came across to score three times.

The loss snapped UM’s regular-season winning streak over Clemson at 10 games.

Miami will look to pick up a non-conference win against Florida Gulf Coast University at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, at Mark Light Field.

The Tigers will visit the Georgia Bulldogs at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 17, at Foley Field.

Maxwell Trink

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...