Campus Life, News, Student Organization

News Briefs: Week of 4/16

Make the Magic

When: 6-9 p.m. April 22

Where: Shalala Student Center

The University of Miami community is welcome to join Camp Kesem Miami for its fifth annual Make the Magic Gala. All funds raised will be donated to the organization, which caters to children who have or have had parents suffer from cancer. Camp Kesem puts on a camp specifically for them each year. There will be catered dinner and entertainment throughout the night. Tickets cost $55.

Art Showcase and Sale

When: 4-8 p.m. April 20

Where: University of Miami Rathskeller

Arts for Kids, a student organization that strives to connect leadership, creativity and service, will be selling artwork to support Nicklaus Children’s Hospital. The artwork is created by UM community members, including students and professors.

Pride Awareness Speaker Octavia Yearwood on “Libations: Let’s Meet Here”

When: 3-5 p.m. April 17

Where: Shalala Student Center Ballroom East

Octavia Yearwood, an educator who uses art to connect community and academia, will be one of the speakers in the LGBTQ Student Center’s Pride Awareness Speaker Series. The series is called “Libations: Let’s Meet Here” and described as a performance art interactive event that will navigate different LGBTQ communities’ experiences. It will also touch on how adversity is doubled when factors such as race and culture come into play. Participants will take part in the live simulation.

Amanda Herrera

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...