Campus Life, Environment, News, Student Organization

Hug the Lake holds deeper meaning for UM community

_DSC2265.jpg

UM students will encircle Lake Osceola April 20 as part of the annual Hug the Lake event. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

There is a reason why hundreds of people encircle Lake Osceola and hold hands each April. It’s not some cultish ritual; this is Hug the Lake, a University of Miami tradition.

“We do this to honor and recognize various sustainable and eco-friendly practices,” said Lindsey Woods, assistant director of the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development. “While it’s a very short event, it’s very meaningful and impactful just to remind our campus community essentially that Earth Day is something that we should care about … Our ecosystems on our campus are something that we should care about.”

It’s been 13 years since Random Acts of Kindness, a UM student organization created to “brighten the lives of students,” presented its idea of surrounding Lake Osceola to celebrate Earth Day. When members of the Butler Center heard the idea, they loved it.

Hug the Lake then became an annual event, where approximately 700 members of the campus community gather for a symbolic hug and singing of the UM Alma Mater.

In the past two years, the tradition has expanded to include an educational component. The Butler Center has partnered with Green U and UM Student Government’s Energy and Conservation Organization Agency. Both organizations have focused on bringing in various community businesses and local agencies that have some environmental or sustainable practice as their mission. These local businesses and agencies table out on the Lakeside Patio in conjunction with Hug the Lake.

The student committee has also introduced various eco-friendly activities that take place before Hug the Lake. This year, one of the booths will ask students, “What is trash?” and educate them on which receptacle certain items should go into; another will teach students how to turn old T-shirts into reusable grocery bags.

Alec Jimenez, the outgoing chair of SG’s ECO Agency said this year and every year, Hug the Lake is about celebrating the environment.

“We are partnering with the Hug the Lake Committee to celebrate the Earth, Lake Osceola and all the efforts individuals and organizations have done to protect their environments throughout the year,” Jimenez said.

For junior Stefanie Getz, this event is an opportunity for students to take a few minutes out of their day to appreciate the beauty of the nature around them.

“Since we do the event on campus, and we have such a beautiful campus, it also resonates with students because we’re living in this place with such amazing nature,” said Getz, an environmental engineering major. “I admire the lake, UM’s campus and the nature around me all the time, and I think this event helps other people to remember to do the same.”

Woods said the goal is always to increase the number of participants. With the expansion of newer campus areas, such as the Fate Bridge, there’s an opportunity for more people to come out and participate in the event.

“I could very well see it turning into a 1,000-person event,” Woods said. “And how amazing would that be?”

To Woods, this is a unique UM tradition that is unlike any other event on campus. It’s not only an educational opportunity to learn more about Earth Day but also a program of community. She said Hug the Lake gives students an opportunity to hold hands with a stranger in celebration of something meaningful.

“At the end of the day, it’s still very representative,” Woods said. “We’re one U, we’re one campus community, all coming together for one common purpose.”

Hug the Lake will be held 12:05-12:20 p.m. April 20. Eco-friendly activities will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., while the “Green Fair” will end at 3 p.m. The Butler Center gives students an opportunity to sign up for a preferred zone on OrgSync but also encourages people to come even if they haven’t registered.

Elina Katrin

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...