Opinion, Staff Editorial

Let teachers be teachers, not tenants

A great teacher can make a school feel like a home but lately, Miami-Dade County has been taking that idea a bit too literally.

The county’s proposal to build a new middle school by Southside Elementary in Downtown and have teachers live on-site for low rent sets a dangerous precedent. Though the idea has its bright points – such as the appeal of ditching the commute altogether – it ultimately serves as a Band-Aid fix to the larger, more pressing problem of how we treat our teachers.

We ask a lot of them already. Teachers are often full-time parents or grandparents at home and part-time parents at school. They’re researchers, therapists, college counselors, supervisors and maybe someday – for a “little bit of a bonus,” suggested President Donald Trump – armed guards, too. It’s not too much to ask in return, then, that they get to live the other 12 or 15 hours of their lives outside the classroom purely as people and not a live-in resource.

All workers deserve the chance to distance themselves from the company that writes their paychecks. As one teacher told WLRN, “teachers need a buffer zone away from our place of work, in order to recharge mentally and physically, to be a better teacher.” Inviting teachers to live at school blurs the line between “home” and “work,” potentially expanding the expectation of constant availability – emotional or otherwise – so often placed on teachers, even when they’re technically off the clock.

Other school districts have tried teacher housing. In California, Santa Clara’s Casa del Maestro (“Teacher’s House”) offers charming red-roofed, low rent apartments and plenty of lush grassy space to enjoy. But Miami is no Santa Clara. Apartments sandwiched between school and a busy metro street sound less idyllic.

Sure, no part of the county’s proposal suggests that the teachers must live onsite. They won’t be expected to even if the Southside plan works and expands to land adjacent to Overtown’s Phyllis Wheatley Elementary. But to propose these options to cash-strapped teachers would be to recommend these living arrangements. Who wouldn’t take the county up on that offer considering teachers’ salaries? When paired against median rent prices in the city, Miami teachers’ salaries don’t go far at all. In fact, Miami’s rent-to-salary ratio is one of the worst in the country.

But why tackle this as a housing problem and not a salary problem? Probably because the latter is easier to dance around. It’s less tangible than an apartment (or lack thereof), and it’s firmly ingrained in our communal status quo. As kids, we all learn that teachers make less money. It’s practically a given but it can’t be anymore, not in one of the country’s most expensive cities.

Real estate is notoriously volatile and finite. Even if the proposed projects at Southside and Phyllis Wheatley worked perfectly for the handful of teachers who got to live there, what happens to the rest of them? What happens when a foreign investor wants to turn that housing development into a luxury condo? Miami isn’t exactly known for maintaining low-income housing options in the face of millionaires.

What’s more, teacher housing necessitates a built-in dependency on the district. Teachers should feel secure knowing that their ability to feel “at home” does not depend – directly or indirectly – on their experience at work or the decisions of their employer.

Miami-Dade should, instead, focus on ensuring an across-the-board living wage. Even easing the financial burden through reimbursing out-of-pocket purchases would be a start.

Of course, these efforts will require state cooperation, something Gov. Rick Scott hasn’t always been willing to give. Last year, he vetoed a bill that would have analyzed “cost-of-living disparity” in all of the state’s counties, a move that might have allowed Miami-Dade to up its wages in response to the exorbitant price of living here.

Still, we’ve got to start somewhere and however well-meaning these projects might be, they can’t help but detract from the real problem.

While this attempt at a solution misses the point, we don’t have to just go along with it. In tandem with movements such as Oklahoma teachers’ push for better pay and school conditions, we ought to be speaking up alongside them. Where would we be without them, anyway?

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...