Baseball, Sports

Late rally, rain ends drought for Hurricanes

Freddy Zamora

Freshman Freddy Zamora swings for the hit at Mark Light Field. Zamora went 7-for-12 and drove in four runs in the weekend series against North Carolina from April 6-8. He recorded his first career home run April 7. Photo credit: Josh White

The Canes will take a win however they can get it, even with a little help from mother nature. This victory snapped a seven-game losing streak for Miami – the team’s longest skid since 1966.

Through four innings of a Sunday matchup against North Carolina April 8, Miami dealt with the same issues that cost it the first two games of the series. But in the fifth inning, the Hurricanes delivered, rallying six runs while bringing 10 batters to the plate for a comeback 7-5 victory over the Tar Heels in a rain-shortened game.

The first pitch had already been moved up one hour because of inclement weather in the forecast, and the game went into an official rain delay before play was permanently stopped after five innings.

With Miami (13-18, 7-8 ACC) trailing 5-1 in the fifth inning, redshirt senior Michael Burns ripped a bases-loaded triple over the head of Tar Heels’ center fielder Brandon Riley to cut the deficit to a single point. On the next pitch, freshman catcher Isaac Quiñones plated Burns with a sacrifice fly to tie the score 5-5.

Then three batters later, after freshman Dylan Cloonan doubled and freshman Tyler Paige drew a walk, fellow rookie Freddy Zamora laced a double to left field to drive in two runs to give UM the lead.

Junior right-handed pitcher Andrew Cabezas (3-3) surrendered five runs in five innings. The Miami Gardens native scattered six hits and recorded four strikeouts compared to four walks.

Freddy Zamora

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

North Carolina’s Joey Lancellotti (1-3) was charged for the loss after getting tagged for four runs in the 1/3 inning pitched in relief.

The Hurricanes opened the game’s scoring in the first inning off a throwing error by Tar Heels’ shortstop Ike Freeman. Senior Hunter Tackett hit a routine ground ball to Freeman, but the infielder threw over the head of Michael Busch to allow Zamora to score from third.

UNC (21-11, 10-5 ACC) scored five unanswered runs, including three in the second inning on back-to-back doubles by Clemente Inclan and Brandon Martorano. Riley delivered a two-RBI single in the fifth frame to add to the Tar Heels’ tally.

UM will host in-state foe University of Central Florida at 6 p.m. April 11.

Notes:

– Paige made his first career start for the Hurricanes. He went 1-for-1 and reached base in all three plate appearances. The hit was his first as a college player.

– Miami suffered its first home series defeat to North Carolina since 2008.

– If the Canes had lost, it would have been their first eight-game losing streak in program history.

– The come-from-behind victory marks the first time this year UM has won while trailing past the fourth inning – the Hurricanes were 0-11 for that situation prior to the win.

Coach Jim Morris and the baseball team had no media availability after this game.

Josh White

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...