Edge, Music

Edge Weekly 8: Brexit rebellion, Kiwi rock and a dance-floor anthem

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 1.06.02 PM.png

Listed here.

Goat Girl – Cracker Drool

On the same day this UK four-piece signed a deal with Rough Trade, Britain infamously left the EU. In its debut LP, these Gen Z women play with a mixture of malaise and anger, fitting for a post-Brexit era that threatens to diminish DIY culture.

Ritt Momney – Something, in General

Hopping on the bandwagon of ironic monikers, Salt Lake City project Ritt Momney released this dreamy, synth-laden single last week. With fewer than 1,000 listens on Spotify, it’s certainly a lesser-known find. The band’s name might be excessive, but the sound is undeniably smooth.

Kali Uchis – Your Teeth In My Neck

Grammy-nominated Karly-Marina Loaiza, the Columbian-American R&B singer who records as Kali Uchis, just released a 15-track LP, “Isolation.” The record is littered with famous collaborators, including Tyler, the Creator, BIA, Steve Lacey, Jorja Smith, Reykon and Bootsy Collins.

Haley Blais – Remove Tag

Following singer-songwriters such as Jay Som, Vancouver’s Haley Blais delivers her melancholy messages through soft, clear vocals and upbeat indie-folk instrumentals. “Remove Tag,” a cynical, relatable song about an unflattering Instagram picture, showcases Blais’s ability to laugh at herself while making beautiful music.

Tom Misch – Water Baby

London singer-songwriter, producer and DJ Tom Misch’s first LP, “Geography,” combines sounds from jazz, disco, hip-hop and funk. The 21-year-old began as a SoundCloud beat maker at the age of 16, when he was uploading roughly three tracks a week. Five years later, Misch has released a thoughtful 13-track record that boasts influence from both his beat-making past and degree in jazz guitar.

Fenne Lily – On Hold

Bristol’s Fenne Lily began touring at the age of 17, when she left her home in Dorset to support acts including Marika Hackman, KT Tunstall, C Duncan, Palace and Marlon Williams. A song she wrote at 15, “Top To Toe,” skyrocketed her to streaming-service fame with its heartbreaking lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra – How Many Zeros

New Zealand psychedelic rock group Unknown Mortal Orchestra has taken a turn toward hip-hop with its 2018 LP, “Sex & Food.” Echoing the sounds of boundary-pushing jazz groups such as Vulfpeck and prolific post-rock outfits such as King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Unknown Mortal Orchestra finds itself straddling two genres at the forefront of music’s evolution.

Saba – GREY

Chicago’s Tahj Malik Chandler, known as Saba, is a bit of a genius – after skipping a few grades, he excelled in high school from the ages of 12 to 16, all the while passing out mixtapes to his peers. Saba cites his father, Chicago R&B and jazz artist Chandlar, for his exposure to music. His tracks, featuring witty lyricism and complex jazz instrumentation, pay homage to his background.

Cuco – CR-V

South LA’s teenage heartthrob Omar Banos got his start writing SoundCloud ballads under the pseudonym Cuco. The 18-year-old doesn’t take himself too seriously – from his satirical rap about his Honda CR-V, which claims, “I look like a mom / in my CR-V,” to his twitter handle, @Icryduringsex, Cuco’s image is quirky and fun. Still, as his sold-out shows suggest, it doesn’t distract from his talent.

Chromeo – Must’ve Been (feat. DRAM)

Chromeo, an Electro-funk duo from Montreal formed in 2002, teamed up with American rapper DRAM for this caffeinated R&B single. With a syncopated guitar line, driving slap bass and swirling synths, “Must’ve Been” shows promise of becoming a dance-floor anthem.

Haley Walker

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...