Baseball, Sports

McKendry stumbles, Miami drops series to North Carolina

After suffering a 12-inning defeat to North Carolina Friday, April 6, the Miami Hurricanes looked to avenge the loss in game two of the weekend series.

But for the second consecutive night, the Canes struggled in the final innings to fall 9-6 to the Tar Heels Saturday, April 7, night at Mark Light Field.

Canes sophomore pitcher Evan McKendry (4-4, 4.94 ERA), who has earned three ACC Pitcher of the Week honors so far this season, had his second consecutive rough outing. The Pembroke Pines native gave up seven runs on eight hits in 5 1/3 innings. He struck out seven batters but totaled four wild pitches in the loss.

Miami (12-18, 6-8 ACC) got off to a quick start in the first inning with a three-run home run from freshman Gabe Rivera to go up 3-1. But North Carolina (21-10, 10-4 ACC) took advantage of a struggling McKendry to score five combined runs in the third and fourth innings to take the lead right back.

The Tar Heels would stay in front the rest of the way.

Freshman Freddy Zamora continues to be a bright spot to the Hurricanes’ otherwise disappointing season thus far. He recorded a hit in all four of his trips to the plate, including the first home run of his college career, to bring his average to an impressive .330.

Freshman first baseman Michael Busch led the way for UNC with three hits, including a 3-RBI double in the fourth inning to give the Tar Heels a commanding 6-3 advantage.

UM has now lost seven-straight games – the longest losing streak for the team since 1966. The Hurricanes will look to avoid being swept for the second consecutive series when they play the Tar Heels again at noon Sunday, April 8. Junior pitcher Andrew Cabezas will take the mound.

Austin Pert

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...