Cover, Crime and Safety, News

Car flips into campus canal

Miami drivers strike again. Late Thursday evening a silver Nissan convertible with Florida license plate was seen lying upside down on top of rocks lining a canal connected to Lake Osceola and partially submerged in the water behind the University Center.

20180405_205850.jpg

The car is flipped and submerged in the canal perpendicular to Stanford Drive, where the driver lost control of the vehicle on Thursday evening. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely confirmed the driver was a University of Miami student and that he is OK. No other injuries were reported, despite the car rushing through a sidewalk to get to the canal.

“It’s very, very lucky for the university and for that student, obviously, because he came over and people were walking and the car flipped into the lake,” Whitely said.

Around 8:30 p.m., University of Miami Police Department and Coral Gables Police responded to the call. It was not immediately clear if there was a passenger in the car after the driver was pulled out. Officers on the scene said there were no injuries and a preliminary search had been done to ensure there were no passengers in the vehicle.

20180405_205949.jpg

A concrete parking barrier near the sidewalk along Stanford Drive was damaged in the crash. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Whitely and UMPD officers could not confirm the student’s identity, but officers said the incident was caused by his trying to cut another driver off to enter a parking space.

Image uploaded from iOS (7).jpg

Water drained from the vehicle after the crane pulled it from the water. Students gathered to watch the spectacle from behind the caution-taped area. Photo credit: Isabella Cueto

The car was pulled out of the water around 10:15 p.m. Police divers began the process of getting the car out shortly before 10 p.m. As the crane pulled the convertible out of the canal and over the same parking spots the driver had been trying to nab just hours earlier, water poured out from the trunk.

Correction, 10:52 p.m., April 5, 2018: This article previously stated that the car was a Mazda convertible. It has been updated to reflect that it was a Nissan.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Isabella Cueto, Amanda Herrera, Tommy Fletcher and Hunter Crenian contributed to reporting.

Annie Cappetta

Annie Cappetta can be reached on Twitter at @acmcappetta and via email at acmcappetta@gmail.com

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...