Basketball, Cover, Sports

Sophomore Dewan Huell declares for NBA Draft

Dewan Huell

Sophomore forward Dewan Huell goes up for the left-handed layup in a matchup against Virginia Tech March 3 at the Watsco Center. Huell scored nine points and pulled down four rebounds in a 69-68 Miami win. Photo credit: Josh White

For the second time in as many weeks, a Miami Hurricane has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft.

Sophomore Dewan Huell made the decision to go pro on Monday, April 2, joining fellow sophomore Bruce Brown Jr., who declared March 22. Like Brown, Huell did not hire an agent, giving him the option to return to Miami should he decide to take his name out of draft consideration. The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft is June 11.

The 6-foot-11, 220-pound forward announced his decision on social media.

“I would like to thank the man above for this opportunity, Canes fans and to all those who supported me through the ups and downs,” he said.

Huell, a native of Miami and a former five-star McDonald’s All-American, started all 32 games for the Hurricanes during the 2017-2018 season that ended in a first-round exit in the NCAA Tournament. He averaged 11.4 points, 6.7 rebounds and 57.6 percent shooting, ranking second on the team in each category. He also recorded 31 blocks, which ranked tied for first.

Huell has made immense strides from his freshman year, nearly doubling his stats in points and rebounds. He recorded five double-doubles, had three 20-plus point games and scored in double figures 20 times this season.

While Huell and Brown have declared, the Canes are still waiting to hear from freshman Lonnie Walker IV. The Reading Eagle reported in March that Walker is “50-50″ on whether he wants to return to school or leave for the NBA. He averaged a team-high 11.5 points in his first season.

Players have until April 22 to enter their names into the NBA Draft, which is set for June 21.

More details will be added to the story as they become available.

Josh White

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...