Basketball, Cover, Sports

Sophomore Dewan Huell declares for NBA Draft

Dewan Huell

Sophomore forward Dewan Huell goes up for the left-handed layup in a matchup against Virginia Tech March 3 at the Watsco Center. Huell scored nine points and pulled down four rebounds in a 69-68 Miami win. Photo credit: Josh White

For the second time in as many weeks, a Miami Hurricane has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft.

Sophomore Dewan Huell made the decision to go pro on Monday, April 2, joining fellow sophomore Bruce Brown Jr., who declared March 22. Like Brown, Huell did not hire an agent, giving him the option to return to Miami should he decide to take his name out of draft consideration. The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft is June 11.

The 6-foot-11, 220-pound forward announced his decision on social media.

“I would like to thank the man above for this opportunity, Canes fans and to all those who supported me through the ups and downs,” he said.

Huell, a native of Miami and a former five-star McDonald’s All-American, started all 32 games for the Hurricanes during the 2017-2018 season that ended in a first-round exit in the NCAA Tournament. He averaged 11.4 points, 6.7 rebounds and 57.6 percent shooting, ranking second on the team in each category. He also recorded 31 blocks, which ranked tied for first.

Huell has made immense strides from his freshman year, nearly doubling his stats in points and rebounds. He recorded five double-doubles, had three 20-plus point games and scored in double figures 20 times this season.

While Huell and Brown have declared, the Canes are still waiting to hear from freshman Lonnie Walker IV. The Reading Eagle reported in March that Walker is “50-50″ on whether he wants to return to school or leave for the NBA. He averaged a team-high 11.5 points in his first season.

Players have until April 22 to enter their names into the NBA Draft, which is set for June 21.

More details will be added to the story as they become available.

Josh White

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...