Baseball, Sports

Former World Series champion still stays true to UM roots

University of Miami alumni make their presence felt in Major League Baseball, but few keep their Miami Hurricane connection like Jon Jay does.

When it comes to representing UM, Jay, a World Series Champion and currently a member of the Kansas City Royals, still proudly bleeds orange and green.

“I was born and raised in Miami – I’ve been a Cane my whole life,” said Jay, who played for the Hurricanes from 2004-06.

Once a college player turns professional, he might make an appearance at his alma mater every now and then – for special occasions. But Jay, who batted .387 with 172 total hits and 108 RBIs while at Miami, is different. Canes athletics remains a significant part of his life.

“I’ve been following Canes football, basketball and baseball pretty much my whole life,” Jay said. “Once I got into college, I haven’t missed a season since then.”

Jay often shows up for Hurricanes baseball practices to help advise the team for the upcoming season.

“I got to see the freshman class that came in,” he said. “It’s an impressive freshman class, and they’re really going after it.”

Jay has also attended multiple Hurricanes sporting events in the past year, including College GameDay and several men’s basketball games.

The MLB center fielder is one of the greatest players in Miami program history. He is one of only nine Canes to hit above .400 with more than 200 at-bats.

Jay started his career with the St. Louis Cardinals, where he won the 2011 World Series.

Maxwell Trink

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...