Baseball, Sports

Former World Series champion still stays true to UM roots

University of Miami alumni make their presence felt in Major League Baseball, but few keep their Miami Hurricane connection like Jon Jay does.

When it comes to representing UM, Jay, a World Series Champion and currently a member of the Kansas City Royals, still proudly bleeds orange and green.

“I was born and raised in Miami – I’ve been a Cane my whole life,” said Jay, who played for the Hurricanes from 2004-06.

Once a college player turns professional, he might make an appearance at his alma mater every now and then – for special occasions. But Jay, who batted .387 with 172 total hits and 108 RBIs while at Miami, is different. Canes athletics remains a significant part of his life.

“I’ve been following Canes football, basketball and baseball pretty much my whole life,” Jay said. “Once I got into college, I haven’t missed a season since then.”

Jay often shows up for Hurricanes baseball practices to help advise the team for the upcoming season.

“I got to see the freshman class that came in,” he said. “It’s an impressive freshman class, and they’re really going after it.”

Jay has also attended multiple Hurricanes sporting events in the past year, including College GameDay and several men’s basketball games.

The MLB center fielder is one of the greatest players in Miami program history. He is one of only nine Canes to hit above .400 with more than 200 at-bats.

Jay started his career with the St. Louis Cardinals, where he won the 2011 World Series.

Maxwell Trink

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...