Baseball, Sports

Chris McMahon gets first taste of game action, Hurricanes fall heavily in exhibition to Marlins

The Miami Hurricanes were happy to see a healthy Chris McMahon on the mound regardless of the score.

Despite falling 22-2 in an exhibition game against the Miami Marlins March 27 at Marlins Park, the Canes got to see their highly anticipated freshman pitch in his first game this season since tearing the meniscus in his left knee in January.

McMahon, who was the No. 100-ranked prospect heading into the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft according to MLBPipeline.com, gave up five runs while on a pitch count of 25. He is expected to compete for a starting spot in coach Jim Morris’ weekend rotation once he gets readjusted to game action.

Marlins top prospect Lewis Brinson led off with a home run in the game’s first at-bat, and the Fish kept rolling from there, scoring 20 runs in six innings.

The Hurricanes had a strong offensive showing by Michael Perez and Willy Escala. Perez got a hit and scored a run in his appearance at the plate.

Escala hit an RBI-triple in the third inning off Marlins starter Dillon Peters, and while heading to third, he reached a speed of 29.4 feet per second – the MLB average is 27.

On defense, sophomore Daniel Rivero was the only Hurricane not to give up a run, throwing a perfect inning with one strikeout. Senior Michael Mediavilla pitched 3 1/3 innings, giving up nine runs – five earned.

The Marlins were led by Garrett Cooper and Tomas Telis on offense. Cooper totaled two hits and four RBIs, while Telis had two hits and two RBIs.

Peters went 4 2/3 innings, giving up two runs on two hits and striking out seven Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes head back to their regular schedule against Florida Gulf Coast University (18-5) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 28, in Fort Meyers.

Maxwell Trink

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...