Baseball, Sports

Freshman Raymond Gil wins it for Canes with walk-off single

The Canes needed a victory … Badly. After suffering another blown lead in a loss to FAU, Miami pulled together just enough of an effort to beat No. 24 Virginia 3-2 in extra innings March 23 at Mark Light Field.

Fortunately for UM (10-11, 4-3 ACC), its pitching staff stepped up and freshman infielder Raymond Gil hit a walk-off single in the 11th inning for the victory.

Senior pitcher Jeb Bargfeldt pitched 7 2/3 innings – tying a season high – and allowed two runs on six hits and struck out four Cavaliers (13-8, 3-4 ACC).

After struggling in the sixth inning, Bargfeldt battled back and retired five-straight batters in the seventh and eighth innings. From there, reliever Jeremy Cook shutdown Virginia over the last three innings.

Miami struggled at the plate for most of the evening, and much like the pitching staff, had to show a great amount of mental toughness in order to pull out the victory. With the game tied 2-2 in the seventh inning, the Canes strung together a couple hits, only to overrun third base and get thrown out before putting any runs on the board.

It seemed like all offensive momentum had been lost until the 10th inning when Miami found itself with the bases loaded and only one out. But pinch hitter Tony Jenkins grounded into a double play to end the inning.

The play sucked the energy out of the ballpark, and it looked like the Hurricanes were going to lose another close game.

But junior Frankie Bartow (1-0) took just six pitches to get out of the top of the 11th inning, and UM broke through with bases loaded in the bottom of the inning for the victory.

A close win over a quality opponent was just what the Hurricanes needed after struggling mightily throughout the beginning stages of the season. They will look to build upon it as they face the Cavaliers in game two of the series 7 p.m. Saturday, March 24 at Mark Light Field.

Cody Brown

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...