Basketball, Cover, Sports

Bruce Brown Jr. declares for draft but still has option for return to UM

Bruce Brown Jr.

Sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. reaches for the layup during a game against Florida State Jan. 7 at the Watsco Center. Brown scored 23 points to lead Miami to an 80-74 victory over FSU. Photo credit: Josh White

It looks like Bruce Brown Jr. has played his last game as a Miami Hurricane … Most likely.

The sophomore guard declared for the NBA Draft Thursday, March 22, but did not yet hire an agent, leaving him the option to return to UM. He has until April 22 to enter his name into the draft – which is set for June 21 – and until June 11 to withdraw from draft consideration.

Brown missed the last 12 games of the season after suffering a broken left foot at the end of January and undergoing surgery Feb. 1. When he did play, he averaged 11.4 points per game – tied for second on the team – while grabbing 7.1 rebounds and dishing out 4.0 assists a night, both of which led Miami.

The Boston native was considered a lottery pick by most mock drafts going into the 2017-2018 season but did not make the kind of strides offensively that people expected after a record-setting freshman year. He has since dropped to a late first-round or early second-round pick on most boards.

Brown came to Miami as a five-star recruit and made a name for himself his first year as a Hurricane. He set freshman records for most points in a season with 391 and most points in a single game with 30 in an upset win over North Carolina.

This season, he became just the sixth player in ACC history to record two career triple-doubles. He totaled 10 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in the 2017-2018 season opener against Gardner-Webb.

Brown, who stands 6 feet 5, will be able to showcase his talents to teams in pre-draft activities and the NBA combine, which goes from May 16-20.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...