Basketball, Cover, Sports

Miami goes scoreless in final minutes, falls to North Carolina in ACC Tournament quarterfinals

The Miami Hurricanes led 14-0 seven minutes into the ACC Tournament quarterfinals, and it looked for a moment like they would have a repeat performance against North Carolina.

But Tar Heels’ Roy Williams, one of the most experienced coaches in the country, subbed out all five of his starters. The defending champions got the message and proved the rest of the night why they are regarded as one of the best offenses in the nation.

Senior and All-ACC Team honorable mention Theo Pinson scored 25 points and pulled down 11 rebounds to lead No. 6-seeded UNC past No. 3-seeded Miami 82-65 March 8 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Despite keeping the game close the majority of the second half and trailing by just four points with 3:50 remaining, the Hurricanes failed to score the rest of the way. Meanwhile the Tar Heels, led by Pinson, went on a 13-0 run to close the contest and send the Canes home.

Senior Ja’Quan Newton totaled 17 points and seven rebounds for UM, while Anthony Lawrence II added 12 points. Freshmen Lonnie Walker IV, who was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team, and Chris Lykes struggled, shooting a combined 7 of 25 from the field. The two led Miami in scoring over ACC play.

For North Carolina, Cameron Johnson had 13 points and seven rebounds. All-ACC first teamer Luke Maye scored just two points and missed 14 of his 15 shots but grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds.

UNC out-rebounded UM 52-41 and made 18 of 23 from the foul line to make the difference in the win.

In the previous matchup between the two teams on Feb. 27, the Canes won 91-88 off a buzzer-beating, halfcourt shot by Newton to cap off red-hot offensive performances by both teams.

This matchup was sloppier and more physical, with both teams missing a handful of layups, but the Tar Heels did just enough.

North Carolina will play Duke at approximately 9:30 p.m Friday, March 9, in the ACC Tournament semifinals.

Miami, which earned a double-bye going into the tournament, will return home and await NCAA Selection Sunday March 11 to see where it will be seeded in the NCAA Tournament.

NOTES

– The night started off slow for both teams, with neither squad scoring within the game’s first three minutes.

– Miami quickly turned it around, scoring 14-straight points while North Carolina shot 0 of 13 from the field. The Tar Heels didn’t score until the 12:51 mark of the first half.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...