Cover, Football, Sports

UM football finds replacement for Kuligowski, hires new defensive line coach

Hurricanes football

The Hurricanes celebrate in front of fans at Hard Rock Stadium following a 41-8 victory over No. 3 Notre Dame Nov. 11, 2017. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Fewer than two weeks after defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski left Miami’s football program for Alabama, the Hurricanes have already made the big move on the next man up.

Jess Simpson, a former Atlanta Falcons defensive assistant and highly esteemed Georgia prep football coach, will be the new defensive line coach at UM, head coach Mark Richt announced Friday, March 2.

Simpson spent the 2017 season with the Falcons and was the defensive line/assistant head coach at Georgia State in 2016.

“We are excited to welcome Jess to our Miami family,” Richt said. “He has proven to be a great leader of men, and he brings a high level of energy, enthusiasm and expertise to our coaching staff.”

“On every front, we are really excited,” Simpson said. “This is really turning the page and starting a new chapter for me and my family. Ultimately, it was about the people and certainly this decision – to work for Mark Richt and having this opportunity at Miami in the defensive line room – was too good to pass up.”

Simpson helped lead the Falcons to the No. 9-ranked total and rushing defense in the NFL last season. He also won seven state titles in his 12 years as the head football coach at Buford High School in Georgia. At Buford, he totaled a dominating 164-12 record – a .932 winning percentage.

“I know the rich tradition of success – the types of players and defensive linemen that have come through the room and had an impact at this level and on the NFL level,” Simpson said. “We have some super talented kids in our room and some incredible kids coming to join us this fall … And then even more in the future. We have something special going on, and I’m honored to be a part of it.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...