Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes advance to ACC Tournament quarterfinals after defeating Demon Deacons

Miami had the game under control, leading by as many as 13 points. But then Wake Forest made a late push, going on a 7-0 run with just under four minutes remaining in the final quarter.

The Hurricanes remained poised, however, and rode some solid defense and efficient free-throw shooting from seniors Erykah Davenport and Keyanna Harris to victory.

Led by 16 points and eight rebounds from Davenport, No. 6-seeded UM beat No. 11-seeded Wake Forest 68-60 March 1 in the second round of the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Canes (21-9, 10-6 ACC) move on to play the No. 3-seeded Florida State Seminoles (24-5, 12-4 ACC) at 8 p.m. March 2 in the quarterfinals.

Harris and junior forward/center Emese Hof each scored 13 points for Miami. Harris dished out a game-high eight assists.

Wake Forest’s (14-17, 5-11 ACC) Alex Sharp and Elisa Penna scored 17 points apiece. Sharp pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds in the losing effort.

The Hurricanes have now gone four-straight years with at least one ACC Tournament win.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...