Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes advance to ACC Tournament quarterfinals after defeating Demon Deacons

Miami had the game under control, leading by as many as 13 points. But then Wake Forest made a late push, going on a 7-0 run with just under four minutes remaining in the final quarter.

The Hurricanes remained poised, however, and rode some solid defense and efficient free-throw shooting from seniors Erykah Davenport and Keyanna Harris to victory.

Led by 16 points and eight rebounds from Davenport, No. 6-seeded UM beat No. 11-seeded Wake Forest 68-60 March 1 in the second round of the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Canes (21-9, 10-6 ACC) move on to play the No. 3-seeded Florida State Seminoles (24-5, 12-4 ACC) at 8 p.m. March 2 in the quarterfinals.

Harris and junior forward/center Emese Hof each scored 13 points for Miami. Harris dished out a game-high eight assists.

Wake Forest’s (14-17, 5-11 ACC) Alex Sharp and Elisa Penna scored 17 points apiece. Sharp pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds in the losing effort.

The Hurricanes have now gone four-straight years with at least one ACC Tournament win.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...