Basketball, Commentary, Cover, Sports

ACC Predictions: UM looks to bolster tournament chances

9 p.m. Feb. 27 – Miami @ No. 9 North Carolina

Following a thrilling win at home over Boston College, the Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill with their first of two opportunities to win double-digit ACC contests.

It will be a tall order. The UNC Tar Heels are one of the hottest teams in the country heading into March, boasting a six-game winning streak. The formula fueling this hot streak is different from the one that led coach Roy Williams’ teams to back-to-back title games.

Those teams had multiple dominant upperclassman who played inside and controlled the rebounding battle, with the help of Justin Jackson on the perimeter.

Williams has adjusted that method. The team is now lead by junior Luke Maye, a big man that shoots 3-pointers, and Joel Berry II, who was last year’s “Most Outstanding Player” of the Final Four.

Instead of a couple dominant big men, Maye and a deep group of solid wings consisting of Theo Pinson, Pittsburgh transfer Cam Johnson and Kenny Williams have led the effort on the glass.

To win a tough game on the road, Miami will need to do its best to limit the second-chance opportunities of the country’s leading offensive-rebounding team. On offense, the Canes must attack the basket relentlessly, as UNC lacks a true shot-blocking threat and is a bit undersized. Sophomore forward Dewan Huell could dominate against a small front court, but it may not be enough.

Prediction: North Carolina 84 – Miami 71

Noon March 3 – Virginia Tech @ Miami

Miami closes out its regular season against Virginia Tech, which sits at an identical 9-7 ACC record going into the last week of the season.

A win over the Hokies would give the Canes the tiebreaker over North Carolina State, Louisville and Virginia Tech, all of which currently claim nine conference victories. So it could greatly benefit Miami’s ACC Tournament seeding.

Coach Buzz Williams’ team is the only one in the conference that can say it beat Virginia, which is currently the No. 1 team in the country. The Hokies have the talent to beat anybody, so how can the Hurricanes pull off a win against them for a second time this season?

In the first matchup between the two teams, Miami dominated the glass 41-28 and got off to a hot shooting start to put away Virginia Tech. The Hokies’ duo of Justin Robinson and Justin Bibbs both played well, combining for 38 points, but fellow double-digit scorers Ahmed Hill and Kerry Blackshear Jr. failed to do much of anything, totaling just two points.

Part of V-Tech’s strength is in its deep stable of scorers, but if UM can turn two of them into non-factors again, that’s a pretty good recipe for a win.

On offense, look for the Canes to shoot away from deep – they knocked in 10 of 21 3-pointers in their last matchup against the Hokies – and if they can connect on those looks, they should ride into the postseason with another 10-win ACC showing.

Prediction: Miami 85 – Virginia Tech 83

Justin Sobelman

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...