Books, Edge

One Book, One U makes all of campus a big book club

IMG_7970.JPG

Students and professors discuss Cuban novels over Cuban food at One Book, One U’s “Marielitos, Balseros, and a Falling Star: a focus on Cuban Culture” event. Photo credit: Laura Manuela Quesada

This semester, the whole UM community is invited to curl up with Jennine Capó Crucet’s “Make Your Home Among Strangers,” the story of a first-generation Cuban-American girl facing issues of identity and heritage in a new college environment. The book was chosen as the first in the newly launched One Book, One U program.

The story takes place during the peak of one of the United States’ biggest Cuban migrant crises, when Elián González washed ashore. The novel highlights many social and political questions children of immigrants must face.

Crucet’s novel follows the protagonist, Ariel Hernandez, through Miami and New York as she goes out-of-state for college.

Professors Osamudia R. James and Chantel Acevedo organized a discussion panel to kickstart the program. Professor Laura Kohn-Wood hosted the event in her home in Pearson Residential College.

The event, “Marielitos, Balseros and a Falling Star: A focus on Cuban Culture,” encouraged discussion among students and faculty regarding the themes present in both “Make Your Home Among Strangers” and “A Falling Star,” Acevedo’s novel. “A Falling Star” also features the story of a Cuban-born American girl and the immigration process, which followed the unfolding of the Mariel boat lift.

IMG_7968.JPG

Professor Chantel Acevedo begins the “Marielitos, Balseros, and a Falling Star: a focus on Cuban Culture” discussion Photo credit: Laura Manuela Quesada

“There’s always this play when you’re a person who doesn’t fit into what is the typical America, where you have this dual identity,” said Shane Meagher, a junior majoring in motion pictures.

Participants opened up with conversations about dual identity, ethnicity versus race, colorism, privilege, racism, community, otherness and generational differences.

“Depending on where we are or who we’re with, different parts of our identity might become strong or we feel we might have to defend communities we might criticize when we’re in them,” James said.

With several related events planned, such as “Cuban Culture Week” and “A Novel Discourse: Make Your Home Among Strangers” hosted by Sigma Tau Delta, there are plenty of ways to participate in One Book, One U.

Free copies of each novel are typically offered during these events.

Check out One Book, One U’s next event, “Blind Mouth Singing,” a play by Cuban playwright Jorge Ignacio Cortiñas and directed by Nilo Cruz, which will play at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre on campus through March 1.

For more information, follow the social media hashtag #OneBookOneU

Laura Manuela Quesada

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...