Art, Edge

Art Wynwood returns in a new, picturesque location

DSC074401.jpg

Photo courtesy Art Miami Photo credit: Art Miami

If the internationally-known Art Basel and the Instagram-able Wynwood Walls had a baby, it would be Art Wynwood. Whether you’re looking to hang out with friends or impress your valentine, consider a visit to Art Wynwood from Feb. 16 to 19.

South Florida’s seventh-annual contemporary art fair, Art Wynwood, will take place President’s Day Weekend. This year, the show will be hosted at a new location, Art Miami and CONTEXT Art Miami in Biscayne Bay. The new setting is east of Biscayne Boulevard and between the Venetian and MacArthur causeways, offering breathtaking views and close proximity to Miami Beach and the 29th-annual “World’s Most Expensive Yachts” show.

Art_Wynwood-740px-ar_1391701454.jpg

Photo courtesy Art Miami

Art Wynwood brings together people from around the globe, from blossoming art enthusiasts to major art collectors. Last year’s festival attracted more than 36,500 people.

The weekend events will begin Feb. 15 with an invitational preview benefiting Miami’s Institute of Contemporary Art. At the VIP Preview, New York-based artist Logan Hicks will be awarded the fourth Art Wynwood Tony Goldman Lifetime Artistic Achievement Award.

Hicks’ works focus on the urban environment and use multiple layers of stencils to produce photorealistic imagery. In the past, his large-scale artwork has been featured on The Wynwood Walls.

This year, the show will highlight the most important and prominent works of the 20th and 21st centuries. Todd Merrill Studio will showcase the bright, abstract works of Colombian artist Knox Martin, some of which have not been presented to the public in decades.

Galerie Isabelle Lesmeister will exhibit hauntingly surreal works by Giulia Dall’Olio and evocative portraits by Juan Eugenio Ochoa, which have never been seen in the United States before.

The show will open to the general public 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 16 and will run through Feb. 19. Tickets are $25 for one day and $55 for a multi-day pass. If you’re 18 or under, you can purchase a $12 student ticket.

For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit artwynwood.com.

Jacqueline Levine

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...