Art, Edge

Art Wynwood returns in a new, picturesque location

DSC074401.jpg

Photo courtesy Art Miami Photo credit: Art Miami

If the internationally-known Art Basel and the Instagram-able Wynwood Walls had a baby, it would be Art Wynwood. Whether you’re looking to hang out with friends or impress your valentine, consider a visit to Art Wynwood from Feb. 16 to 19.

South Florida’s seventh-annual contemporary art fair, Art Wynwood, will take place President’s Day Weekend. This year, the show will be hosted at a new location, Art Miami and CONTEXT Art Miami in Biscayne Bay. The new setting is east of Biscayne Boulevard and between the Venetian and MacArthur causeways, offering breathtaking views and close proximity to Miami Beach and the 29th-annual “World’s Most Expensive Yachts” show.

Art_Wynwood-740px-ar_1391701454.jpg

Photo courtesy Art Miami

Art Wynwood brings together people from around the globe, from blossoming art enthusiasts to major art collectors. Last year’s festival attracted more than 36,500 people.

The weekend events will begin Feb. 15 with an invitational preview benefiting Miami’s Institute of Contemporary Art. At the VIP Preview, New York-based artist Logan Hicks will be awarded the fourth Art Wynwood Tony Goldman Lifetime Artistic Achievement Award.

Hicks’ works focus on the urban environment and use multiple layers of stencils to produce photorealistic imagery. In the past, his large-scale artwork has been featured on The Wynwood Walls.

This year, the show will highlight the most important and prominent works of the 20th and 21st centuries. Todd Merrill Studio will showcase the bright, abstract works of Colombian artist Knox Martin, some of which have not been presented to the public in decades.

Galerie Isabelle Lesmeister will exhibit hauntingly surreal works by Giulia Dall’Olio and evocative portraits by Juan Eugenio Ochoa, which have never been seen in the United States before.

The show will open to the general public 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 16 and will run through Feb. 19. Tickets are $25 for one day and $55 for a multi-day pass. If you’re 18 or under, you can purchase a $12 student ticket.

For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit artwynwood.com.

Jacqueline Levine

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

The University of Miami 2019 quarterback race has dwindled by one player. The Miami Herald has learn ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 15 in the USA TODAY Co ...