Sports, Tennis

Canes tennis goes 2-0 in doubleheader

Christian Langmo

6-foot-3 senior Christian Langmo goes for the serve against Florida Atlantic in a 4-2 match victory Feb. 11 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Miami stayed perfect on its home court with back-to-back victories Feb. 11 in a doubleheader against Florida Atlantic and Bucknell at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Hurricanes have won four-straight games, bringing them to a record of 5-2.

Against FAU, the tag teams of Pablo Aycart and Nile Clark and Christian Langmo and Dane Dunlap both picked up wins in doubles competition, and then Langmo, Adria Soriano and Bojan Jankulovski recorded individual victories to give Miami the 4-2 match win.

Niclas Genovese

6-foot-2 senior Niclas Genovese returns a serve during a singles match against FAU. The Hurricanes would win 4-2 against the Owls Feb. 11 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

“We beat a good team today,” head coach Aljosa Piric said of FAU. “They train and compete in the same conditions that we do and they were ready for the heat. I’m very proud of our guys and the fight they have shown the entire year.”

UM dominated Bucknell from start to finish later that day, posting a 7-0 win.

The Canes kept their momentum going into doubles play, winning that point for the sixth-straight match.

Then Miami captured two-set wins in six singles matches.

“It’s tough to come back and play two matches in a day, especially on a hot day like this, but our guys showed up and took care of business, one through six, and that’s all we can ask for,” Piric said. “We are going to give the guys a couple of days off, then it’s back to work.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...