Football, National Signing Day, Sports

Canes secure top-10 recruiting class, coaches react

Mark Richt

Miami football head coach Mark Richt speaks to the media on National Signing Day Feb. 7 at the Mann Auditorium in the Schwartz Center. The Hurricanes signed four recruits on Wednesday, bringing their 2018 class number to 23 players. The class ranks No. 7 in the country. Photo credit: Josh White

What started as a “home run” in the early signing period as described by Mark Richt turned into a flat-out win for Miami Hurricanes football on Wednesday.

The Canes locked in what is currently the No. 8 ranked 2018 recruiting class in the country on National Signing Day – the first top-10 class for the program since 2012.

Four players officially signed Wednesday morning, adding to the 19 that signed in December.

“I am thrilled about our 2018 recruiting class – one of the best ones I’ve ever been involved in,” Richt said. “We covered all our needs.”

Five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard, four-star quarterback Jarren Williams, four-star tight end Brevin Jordan, four-star defensive tackle Nesta Silvera, four-star wide receiver Mark Pope and four-star cornerback Al Blades Jr. highlight the class.

Silvera announced his decision on national television Wednesday morning while putting on a Miami ball cap.

“I think he is the best three-technique [defensive tackle]in the state,” Richt said. “He was very excited over the phone.”

Former Hurricanes defensive tackle and current radio host Dan Sileo, who was a key component on the 1987 championship team, said he is “thrilled to death” about what Richt and his staff are doing for the program.

“They are winning back the city of Miami,” Sileo said. “The previous coaching staff destroyed many relationships and Coach Richt is winning them back.”

Sileo is known as one of the strongest Miami players ever. He holds the program records for bench press and squat at 535 and 700 pounds, respectively.

“They have to address the quarterback spot and get deeper in the secondary and the defensive line, but inside of five years, Miami will be in the title game,” Sileo said.

Here is the class breakdown by national ranking:

5-star:

Lorenzo Lingard – RB, No. 25

4-star:

Brevin Jordan – TE, No. 33

Nesta Silvera – DT, No. 54

Mark Pope – WR, No. 67

Jarren Williams – PRO, No. 77

Al Blades Jr. – CB, No. 97

Delone Scaife – OG, No. 148

Brian Hightower – WR, No. 153

Cam’Ron Davis – RB, No. 172

Gurvan Hall – S, No. 184

Gilbert Frierson – CB, No. 200

Will Mallory – TE, No. 211

Cleveland Reed – OG, No. 259

Marquez Ezzard – ATH, No. 345

D.J. Ivey – CB, No. 351

3-Star:

Daquris Wiggins – WR, No. 463

John Campbell – OT, No. 480

Gregory Rousseau – WDE, No. 484

Patrick Joyner – WDE, No. 668

Jordan Miller – DT, N/A

Nigel Bethal – CB, N/A

Realus George – FB, N/A

Bubba Baxa – K, N/A

“We’re another class away from having 85 guys who can really play championship football,” Richt said. “If we keep signing at this rate, there will be plenty of happy Hurricanes fans.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...