Football, National Signing Day, Sports

Canes secure top-10 recruiting class, coaches react

Mark Richt

Miami football head coach Mark Richt speaks to the media on National Signing Day Feb. 7 at the Mann Auditorium in the Schwartz Center. The Hurricanes signed four recruits on Wednesday, bringing their 2018 class number to 23 players. The class ranks No. 7 in the country. Photo credit: Josh White

What started as a “home run” in the early signing period as described by Mark Richt turned into a flat-out win for Miami Hurricanes football on Wednesday.

The Canes locked in what is currently the No. 8 ranked 2018 recruiting class in the country on National Signing Day – the first top-10 class for the program since 2012.

Four players officially signed Wednesday morning, adding to the 19 that signed in December.

“I am thrilled about our 2018 recruiting class – one of the best ones I’ve ever been involved in,” Richt said. “We covered all our needs.”

Five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard, four-star quarterback Jarren Williams, four-star tight end Brevin Jordan, four-star defensive tackle Nesta Silvera, four-star wide receiver Mark Pope and four-star cornerback Al Blades Jr. highlight the class.

Silvera announced his decision on national television Wednesday morning while putting on a Miami ball cap.

“I think he is the best three-technique [defensive tackle]in the state,” Richt said. “He was very excited over the phone.”

Former Hurricanes defensive tackle and current radio host Dan Sileo, who was a key component on the 1987 championship team, said he is “thrilled to death” about what Richt and his staff are doing for the program.

“They are winning back the city of Miami,” Sileo said. “The previous coaching staff destroyed many relationships and Coach Richt is winning them back.”

Sileo is known as one of the strongest Miami players ever. He holds the program records for bench press and squat at 535 and 700 pounds, respectively.

“They have to address the quarterback spot and get deeper in the secondary and the defensive line, but inside of five years, Miami will be in the title game,” Sileo said.

Here is the class breakdown by national ranking:

5-star:

Lorenzo Lingard – RB, No. 25

4-star:

Brevin Jordan – TE, No. 33

Nesta Silvera – DT, No. 54

Mark Pope – WR, No. 67

Jarren Williams – PRO, No. 77

Al Blades Jr. – CB, No. 97

Delone Scaife – OG, No. 148

Brian Hightower – WR, No. 153

Cam’Ron Davis – RB, No. 172

Gurvan Hall – S, No. 184

Gilbert Frierson – CB, No. 200

Will Mallory – TE, No. 211

Cleveland Reed – OG, No. 259

Marquez Ezzard – ATH, No. 345

D.J. Ivey – CB, No. 351

3-Star:

Daquris Wiggins – WR, No. 463

John Campbell – OT, No. 480

Gregory Rousseau – WDE, No. 484

Patrick Joyner – WDE, No. 668

Jordan Miller – DT, N/A

Nigel Bethal – CB, N/A

Realus George – FB, N/A

Bubba Baxa – K, N/A

“We’re another class away from having 85 guys who can really play championship football,” Richt said. “If we keep signing at this rate, there will be plenty of happy Hurricanes fans.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...