Football, National Signing Day, Sports

Canes secure top-10 recruiting class, coaches react

Mark Richt

Miami football head coach Mark Richt speaks to the media on National Signing Day Feb. 7 at the Mann Auditorium in the Schwartz Center. The Hurricanes signed four recruits on Wednesday, bringing their 2018 class number to 23 players. The class ranks No. 7 in the country. Photo credit: Josh White

What started as a “home run” in the early signing period as described by Mark Richt turned into a flat-out win for Miami Hurricanes football on Wednesday.

The Canes locked in what is currently the No. 8 ranked 2018 recruiting class in the country on National Signing Day – the first top-10 class for the program since 2012.

Four players officially signed Wednesday morning, adding to the 19 that signed in December.

“I am thrilled about our 2018 recruiting class – one of the best ones I’ve ever been involved in,” Richt said. “We covered all our needs.”

Five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard, four-star quarterback Jarren Williams, four-star tight end Brevin Jordan, four-star defensive tackle Nesta Silvera, four-star wide receiver Mark Pope and four-star cornerback Al Blades Jr. highlight the class.

Silvera announced his decision on national television Wednesday morning while putting on a Miami ball cap.

“I think he is the best three-technique [defensive tackle]in the state,” Richt said. “He was very excited over the phone.”

Former Hurricanes defensive tackle and current radio host Dan Sileo, who was a key component on the 1987 championship team, said he is “thrilled to death” about what Richt and his staff are doing for the program.

“They are winning back the city of Miami,” Sileo said. “The previous coaching staff destroyed many relationships and Coach Richt is winning them back.”

Sileo is known as one of the strongest Miami players ever. He holds the program records for bench press and squat at 535 and 700 pounds, respectively.

“They have to address the quarterback spot and get deeper in the secondary and the defensive line, but inside of five years, Miami will be in the title game,” Sileo said.

Here is the class breakdown by national ranking:

5-star:

Lorenzo Lingard – RB, No. 25

4-star:

Brevin Jordan – TE, No. 33

Nesta Silvera – DT, No. 54

Mark Pope – WR, No. 67

Jarren Williams – PRO, No. 77

Al Blades Jr. – CB, No. 97

Delone Scaife – OG, No. 148

Brian Hightower – WR, No. 153

Cam’Ron Davis – RB, No. 172

Gurvan Hall – S, No. 184

Gilbert Frierson – CB, No. 200

Will Mallory – TE, No. 211

Cleveland Reed – OG, No. 259

Marquez Ezzard – ATH, No. 345

D.J. Ivey – CB, No. 351

3-Star:

Daquris Wiggins – WR, No. 463

John Campbell – OT, No. 480

Gregory Rousseau – WDE, No. 484

Patrick Joyner – WDE, No. 668

Jordan Miller – DT, N/A

Nigel Bethal – CB, N/A

Realus George – FB, N/A

Bubba Baxa – K, N/A

“We’re another class away from having 85 guys who can really play championship football,” Richt said. “If we keep signing at this rate, there will be plenty of happy Hurricanes fans.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...