Basketball, Sports

Miami survives late-game scare to defeat Virginia Tech

After a tough loss against the No. 4 Louisville Cardinals last week, the Miami Hurricanes needed a bounce-back performance.

Led by seniors Erykah Davenport and Keke Harris, the Canes delivered just that, defeating the Virginia Tech Hokies 82-78 Sunday, Jan. 28, at the Cassell Coliseum in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Davenport finished with 22 points, 16 of which came in the first half, while Harris scored 13 points and pulled down 10 rebounds off the bench, securing her first career double-double.

Miami (15-7, 5-4 ACC) led for nearly the entire contest, but saw a lead as high as 17 get cut to two with under a minute left after a 16-5 Virginia Tech (14-8, 3-6 ACC) run.

But a forced turnover and some late-game free throws sealed the victory for the Hurricanes, who have won their last 13 games against the Hokies. Miami didn’t hit a field goal in the final 3:17.

V-Tech has lost four of its last five games.

Rachel Camp led the Hokies with a season-high 25 points, hitting 9 of her 15 shots. Redshirt junior Regan Magarity scored 17 points, hitting the 1,000 career point mark in her time at V-Tech.

UM junior forward/center Emese Hof, who scored 20 against Louisville, had just seven points on 2-of-3 shooting and four fouls, but she hit the last two crucial free-throws for the win.

Virginia Tech had problems offensively and defensively, recording 10 turnovers and 10 fouls in the first half.

In the first half, the Canes were hot from the three-point line, hitting 6 of 8 from long range.

The Hokies ended the first half on a scoring drought that lasted the final 2:48 of the second quarter.

Miami looks next to play on the road against North Carolina at 2 p.m. Feb. 4 at the Dean Smith Center.

Virginia Tech looks to get back on track when it faces off against Syracuse at 7 p.m. Feb. 1 at the Carrier Dome.

Maxwell Trink

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...