V's Take

When easing into relationships, respect your partner’s pace

As you may or may not know, V is trying to get cuffed.

I know, it’s surprising to me, too. The transition from hooking up with hoes in Hondas to being housewife-y seems impossible, but I’m making it work – or trying to anyway.

Whether you’re in a relationship or not, it seems like everyone is after sex. Who doesn’t like the D … Or the V … Or neither … Or both … Or both at the same time. V does not kink shame.

But as we’ve discussed in the past, sex isn’t really what draws the line between friendships and relationships. Plenty of people are screwing each other and haven’t DTRed, while numerous cute couples are saving themselves for marriage.

It doesn’t matter where you are in your relationship, it’s important to talk about your expectations so neither partner gets disappointed. Intimacy can have a million and one definitions, but regardless of which one you choose, it’s an essential part of any relationship.

It’s important to remember that making out and cuddling can be more intimate and pleasurable than doing the dirty sometimes. Often, the foreplay is better than the actual sex – especially if your partner finishes fast.

Think about it: What is the longest amount of time you’ve spent having sex? How long have you spent cuddling?

It’s likely the cuddle time is much greater than the penetrating time. (For me, the answers were 13 minutes and 12 hours, respectively.)

Different people want to do different things at different speeds, and I totally respect and understand that because #ConsentIsSexy.

Sure, you can stall by using your hands and fingers (and toys, too) as a stand in, but it’s nowhere close to the level of intimacy and pleasure you can get from your partner, no matter how sexy they look in their tagged Insta photos.

But you have to remember it’s a big step for someone who usually goes hardcore on the first night to take it slow.

Have a question for V? Email dearv@themiamihurricane.com.

V'S Take

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...