News, Student Government

Student Government sees lower registration turnout rates as election deadline approaches

Business Professional Headshot.png

Photo Courtesy: Luis Goberna

The University of Miami’s Student Government elections are right around the corner, but election officials are having a hard time getting students to register for the various available positions.

Junior Luis Goberna, elections commission chairman, said since last year, they’ve seen a drop in interest. In 2017, the university only saw one ticket run for executive seats against an independent filer – who later dropped – running for president.

Aaron King, then a sophomore, ran independently with no treasurer or vice presidential running mates against current Student Government President Adrian Nuñez and his running mates, Vice President Coleman Reardon and Treasurer Emily Bajalia. King withdrew from the race after contracting pneumonia, since he “would not be healthy by election day,” he said.

The deadline to register to run for a position in Student Government is 5 p.m. Jan. 30. However, some seats still remain uncontested or with vacant registrations. Only one ticket has registered to run for the executive seats, which include president, vice president and treasurer.

On the senate side, there are a total of eight seats up for election. The Business School, School of Communications and Transfer seats have at least one person running for each. However, only two people have signed up for the three available Commuter Senator seats and only one person has registered to run for the two open College of Arts and Sciences seats.

Goberna said Student Government is advertising the election registration dates on more than 10 platforms, including the Student Government Facebook page, Ibis News and TV screens in the campus dining halls, Housing and Residential Life and the Shalala Student Center.

“It’s not so much that students don’t know,” Goberna said. “It’s more the lack of interest, unfortunately … It’s not only something university Student Government struggles with, it happens in real-world government. You see that youth turnout rates in elections, not even midterms, but in presidential ones they turn out to be real low.”

Goberna spent last week tabling in the University Center Breezeway, in an attempt to attract eligible students to register for open positions, but in the end, he just ended up giving away a lot of free pizza.

“Students would stop by and they would talk, but at the end of the day, they wouldn’t follow up,” he said.

As time is ticking to register, Goberna said he encourages students to run for seats with and without someone on the ballot.

“That shouldn’t discourage you from running,” Goberna said. “If you want to make a difference, go for it. Just see this as another challenge to overcome.”

Students can file to run at sg.miami.edu/vote.

Elections will be held Feb. 12-14. Results will be announced at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 15.

Students with questions about the upcoming Student Government elections can contact Goberna at sgelections@miami.edu.

Correction, Jan. 31 2018: This article previously incorrectly stated the deadline to register to run for a position was 5 p.m. Jan. 31, 2018. The story has been updated to reflect the correct deadline, 5 p.m. Jan. 30, 2018.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...