Edge, Music

Souvenir takes music from studio to stage with newly formed band

27650245_10210830924589483_1281580587_o.jpg

From left: Anh Le, Reed Gaines, Mike Fenuccio and Andrew Novoa get into the music at Souvenir's Sunset Tavern gig January 20. Photo courtesy Koa Ho

Frost School of Music band Souvenir has begun playing gigs to promote its Neon Dream record, which melds 80s synth sounds with cutting-edge modern pop. Written and produced by seniors Mike Fenuccio and Andrew Novoa, the 6-song EP was released in June 2017 and is available for purchase and streaming on Spotify, Soundcloud and Apple Music.

Neon Dream’s agile vocals carry the EP through a series of emotional highs and lows. With the triumphant harmonies of “Stay,” which echo current artists like Troye Sivan and Parade of Lights, and the deep, melismatic sounds in “Push Pull” that call on the neo-soul of the early aughts, vocalist and primary songwriter Mike Fenuccio demonstrates his range both in pitch and emotion. The songs’ lyrics exude lust, particularly in “Nocturnal” and the title track, “Neon Dream”, as well as longing and loss, as in “Push Pull.” The lines are short and to-the-point, giving just enough information to paint a scene, but allowing Fenuccio’s evocative voice to do the talking.

Neon Dream pairs the clean arrangements of radio hits like Charlie Puth’s “Attention” or Shawn Mendes’s “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” with the airy, reverb-heavy feel of festival artists Gallant and The Japanese House. The vocal chops in “Push Pull” and “Neon Dream” are a markedly late twenty-teens touch, while the drum tracks and keyboard synths leave a taste of 1980s nostalgia. Though different from one another, the songs never feel incongruous. The bright sound of the record carries throughout, making even songs with contrasting energies, like “Stay” and “Chase Me Down,” feel like part of the same work.

Fenuccio uses the moniker Souvenir for his solo work and duo with keyboardist Andrew Novoa, but he assembled a full band under the name in Fall 2017. Frost students Anh Le, the second keyboardist and drum pad player, drummer Chris Schreck, guitarist Ben Youngblood and bassist Reed Gaines joined Souvenir last semester and played the band’s first live show January 20 at Sunset Tavern.

“I feel like for so long these songs just lived in Andrew’s studio and now they’ve been elevated to new heights when played for actual people,” Fenuccio said.

Though Neon Dream’s studio sound isn’t necessarily replicable with live instruments, the addition of the band members gives Souvenir a mesmerizing live presence. Youngblood, Le, Schreck and Gaines, all incredibly dexterous musicians, fill the void of vocal samples and synth tracks with live melody and rhythm.

“I’ve been so blessed to have such talented friends who allow me to realize the sonic palettes I envision when I write these songs,” Fenuccio said.

Souvenir will continue promoting Neon Dream with live gigs throughout Spring 2018. Catch them on campus at the UM United Wesley Open Mic/Coffeehouse (1210 Stanford Drive) February 22 and at Gramps in Wynwood February 27. Follow Souvenir @mfenuccio on Facebook.

Haley Walker

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...