Campus Life, News

News Briefs: Week of 1/29

Safety in 60 Minutes

When: 3-4 p.m. Jan. 31

Where: Whitten Learning Center, room 170

Here in Miami, hurricanes aren’t the only threat to safety. The Office of Emergency Management will inaugurate its new safety training class – All-Hazards Response Training: Safety in 60 Minutes. The hourlong training will focus on providing emergency response information to the most common hazards the campus community faces. The training is free and open to everyone.

Dancing with Dictators: A Family’s Journey from Pre-Castro Cuba to Exile in the Turbulent Sixties

When: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Jan. 31

Where: Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center, 6200 San Amaro Dr.

The University of Miami will host Luis Santeiro, a Cuban who moved to Miami at the age of 12, for a book talk regarding his family’s experience in fleeing Fidel Castro’s communist regime and relocating to the United States. Santeiro won 20 Emmy Awards as a writer for Sesame Street and one as head writer for ¿Qué Pasa, U.S.A? the first bilingual sitcom on national television.

FunDay 2018

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 3

Where: UM Coral Gables Campus

FunDay, the longest standing service day at the University of Miami, will be returning for another year of service. Hundreds of UM students participate in the annual event that brings special needs members of the Miami-Dade community to campus. Each student is paired with a “buddy” to participate in activities, such as karaoke and field events.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...