Administration, Cover, News, Religious Life

Felicia Knaul challenges UM community to be vocal against injustice at annual Presidential Shabbat

IMG_9908.jpg

University Miami President Julio Frenk and Director of the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas Felicia Knaul engaged with students and continued the decade-long tradition of Presidential Shabbats Friday night at UM. Photo credit: Kayla Haley

Shabbat, the Jewish Sabbath, happens every week at the University of Miami Hillel Braman Miller Center; however, on Jan. 26, the center hosted its annual Presidential Shabbat where first lady Felicia Knaul stressed the importance of justice in today’s world.

Knaul and Frenk continued the annual tradition which began 10 years ago with former UM President Donna Shalala. Every year, the Hillel center hosts the president of the university and family for a Shabbat service and dinner.

Shabbat service ushers in the Jewish Sabbath or day of rest. During the weekly services, candles are lit and music fills the air. Following the service, the evening meal is served and starts with blessings recited over two loaves of challah, special bread in Jewish cuisine typically eaten on ceremonial occasions.

Knaul, UM professor and director of the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas, was asked to speak about the reading from the Torah. The passage she spoke about featured one of the few prophetesses in the Torah, and to cap off social justice week, she had a personal message to add to the reading.

“We are living the ‘Me Too’ moment; a moment that is finally bringing us forward in battles that have gone on for decades and centuries regarding the harassment of women,” she said. “We are finally seeing some justice.”

Knaul challenged the audience to “not accept false leadership” which is grounded in discrimination and abuse regardless of “however white and large the walls that seemingly protect them.”

Referencing earlier verses, Knaul encouraged listeners to “remember to beat our drums to also protect those women, the many who still do not have a drum to beat.”

Frenk’s personal connection to Judaism goes back to his Jewish grandfather, who fled to Mexico from Nazi Germany. Knaul identifies as a Jewish woman and is the daughter of a Holocaust survivor.

IMG_9897.JPG

Frenk breaks Challah, a bread in Jewish culture typically eaten on special occasions, at the University of Miami’s “Frank Knaul Shabbat.” Photo credit: Kayla Haley

Frenk said he was grateful to have Hillel host him and his family.

“I really value the presence of Hillel and the vibrancy of our Jewish life on campus,” he said.

Junior Jessica Hamorsky, who was attending her first Shabbat, said Frenk’s presence at the service made UM stand out from other universities.

“It shows how much they care about us as students,” said Hamorsky, a double major in vocal performance and music business. “Because I know other universities … Students don’t get to meet their president.”

Correction, Jan. 29, 2018: This article previously stated that Knaul was asked to read a passage from the Torah. Knaul was asked to speak about the passage read at the service. 

Kayla Haley

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...