Campus Life, Community, News

Tunnel of Oppression challenges students to view the world as marginalized groups

_DSC8274.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

For Ryan Kesselring, a fifth-year senior who is the social justice coordinator for the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Social Justice Week is about more than just raising awareness – it’s about creating change by spreading knowledge about certain groups and their struggles.

To kick off Social Justice Week, the Butler Center hosted its 10th annual “Tunnel of Oppression,” an interactive museum-style exhibit showcasing the oppression faced by various marginalized groups.

“The goal is to take these issues and reach a larger audience,” said Kesselring, a triple major in political science, finance and economics. “We pride ourselves on being a very diverse university, so this is a place where you really get to see … What different student organizations are passionate about, how they portray the issues they are passionate about and really step outside of your comfort zone.”

The event dealt with issues such as human trafficking, pollution, racism, poverty, mental health and discrimination faced by the LGBT community. All of the exhibit’s content was chosen by UM students.

Guests wore headphones as they were taken through a guided tour of the exhibit. Each room was covered with newspaper clippings, personal anecdotes from victims of human trafficking and sexual assault and videos about each topic. Guests also had several opportunities to write down and share their own thoughts and personal experiences.

_DSC8313.jpg

University of Miami students listen through wireless headphones as they are guided through the Tunnel of Oppression exhibit. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Kesselring said the exhibit offers a chance to learn about issues that most UM students haven’t experienced firsthand. He said groups such as SpectrUM offer many events throughout the year for its own members, but Social Justice Week is an opportunity for individuals not affiliated with the organization to learn about the struggles faced by the LGBTQ community.

Freshman Sarah Shanahan, a public health major, described the exhibit as both eye-opening and emotional. She said the exhibit on race was particularly powerful for her because it made her realize the often subtle ways that racism still persists in society. One of the videos in the room was about a racist prank pulled at Columbia University in New York where students pulled all of the name tags from the dorms of Chinese students.

“Even things that we don’t think about, especially being white, having a Chinese name and then having to have an American name just for convenience sake,” Shanahan said. “I never thought of that before, so that really made me at least want to try more in terms of using their real name.”

Freshman Kathryn Wells went to the event because her public health professor offered extra credit, but the exhibits ultimately impacted her.

“I encourage everybody to go,” said Wells, a nursing major. “It’s a really great experience.”

A full list of the The Butler Center’s Social Justice Week events can be found on its Facebook page. The Tunnel of Oppression will continue through Jan. 24.

Zach Grissom

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...