Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes adjusting to rigors of ACC play

Miami basketball is six games into conference play and holds an ACC record of 3-3.

Based on the Hurricanes’ inconsistent performances, for now, the verdict remains the same: The team is talented, but its inexperience shows.

One of the challenges this young Canes team has had to face is adjusting to the many unique styles of play the ACC has to offer.

UM lost to Georgia Tech but defeated Florida State – two teams with different philosophies. The Yellow Jackets slowed the pace and played a zone defense, while the Seminoles were intent on pressuring the Hurricanes’ offense and setting traps.

“What we might do against a team that plays a packing defense is different than what we might do against a team that plays pressure defense,” head coach Jim Larrañaga told reporters Jan. 19. “Some examples of this in our league include North Carolina State, a team that will play full court defense and trap you, as opposed to a team like Virginia, who tries to just sit down low and take away the paint.”

Larrañaga said the Duke game was unique because the Blue Devils threw multiple defensive looks at Miami, switching from an aggressive trap to a 2-3 zone defense midway through the second half.

“Just being more aggressive, making them actually play defense,” freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV said. “If you watch the film, they were just kind of standing in that one spot for 10 hours it felt like. Their feet were basically glued onto the court. We have to get them moving in order for us to score.”

Larrañaga mentioned it took a full season for Shane Larkin, arguably the best player in program history, to make these adjustments from game to game.

Despite some of the Canes’ struggles, Walker and fellow rookie Chris Lykes have upped their level of play in the ACC. Both are averaging 11 points a night in conference play, but the focus is on the other end of the floor.

“We are playing on a brighter stage, everyone that you play against is good,” Walker said. “Each second counts. So if you don’t do the right thing, it can hurt you really bad. We definitely have to pick it up defensively.”

“I think we have really good spurts sometimes, but when teams eventually go zone against us, the ball sticks a lot,” Lykes said. “We just start shooting threes instead of creating for each other.”

Miami next plays Louisville at 8 p.m. Jan. 24 at the Watsco Center.

Austin Pert

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...