Cover, Football, Sports

Canes cornerback to have career-ending surgery

Malek Young

Sophomore cornerback Malek Young wears the Turnover Chain for the second time in 2017 after an interception in a 41-8 Miami victory over Notre Dame on Nov. 11 at Hard Rock Stadium. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

University of Miami athletics released some devastating news Jan. 21: sophomore cornerback Malek Young will undergo career-ending neck surgery because of an injury sustained during the Dec. 30 Orange Bowl game against Wisconsin.

It was reported on CanesInSight.com Jan. 20 that Young’s career looked to be over because of an injury to the vertebrae in his neck. UM confirmed the report the following day.

“After discussions with my family and the UM medical staff, we have determined that my football career should come to an end,” Young said. “I look forward to getting healthy, working towards my degree and continuing to support my teammates, as I know they will continue to support me.”

Young, who played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes this past season and recorded 43 tackles and two interceptions, has received an abundance of support from teammates, coaches and Miami alumni.

The Fort Lauderdale native was one of Miami’s best defensive backs in 2017 and received national attention as the first Hurricane to wear the Turnover Chain back in the season-opening 41-13 victory over Bethune-Cookman Sept. 2.

The University of Miami medical team will perform Young’s surgery.

“While we’re disappointed that Malek’s football career is over, his health is our top priority,” head coach Mark Richt said. “Malek is a terrific young man, one who I’m confident will go on to accomplish great things. He will remain on full scholarship, and we will support him every step of the way.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...