Cover, Football, Sports

Canes cornerback to have career-ending surgery

Malek Young

Sophomore cornerback Malek Young wears the Turnover Chain for the second time in 2017 after an interception in a 41-8 Miami victory over Notre Dame on Nov. 11 at Hard Rock Stadium. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

University of Miami athletics released some devastating news Jan. 21: sophomore cornerback Malek Young will undergo career-ending neck surgery because of an injury sustained during the Dec. 30 Orange Bowl game against Wisconsin.

It was reported on CanesInSight.com Jan. 20 that Young’s career looked to be over because of an injury to the vertebrae in his neck. UM confirmed the report the following day.

“After discussions with my family and the UM medical staff, we have determined that my football career should come to an end,” Young said. “I look forward to getting healthy, working towards my degree and continuing to support my teammates, as I know they will continue to support me.”

Young, who played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes this past season and recorded 43 tackles and two interceptions, has received an abundance of support from teammates, coaches and Miami alumni.

The Fort Lauderdale native was one of Miami’s best defensive backs in 2017 and received national attention as the first Hurricane to wear the Turnover Chain back in the season-opening 41-13 victory over Bethune-Cookman Sept. 2.

The University of Miami medical team will perform Young’s surgery.

“While we’re disappointed that Malek’s football career is over, his health is our top priority,” head coach Mark Richt said. “Malek is a terrific young man, one who I’m confident will go on to accomplish great things. He will remain on full scholarship, and we will support him every step of the way.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...