Cover, Football, Sports

Canes cornerback to have career-ending surgery

Malek Young

Sophomore cornerback Malek Young wears the Turnover Chain for the second time in 2017 after an interception in a 41-8 Miami victory over Notre Dame on Nov. 11 at Hard Rock Stadium. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

University of Miami athletics released some devastating news Jan. 21: sophomore cornerback Malek Young will undergo career-ending neck surgery because of an injury sustained during the Dec. 30 Orange Bowl game against Wisconsin.

It was reported on CanesInSight.com Jan. 20 that Young’s career looked to be over because of an injury to the vertebrae in his neck. UM confirmed the report the following day.

“After discussions with my family and the UM medical staff, we have determined that my football career should come to an end,” Young said. “I look forward to getting healthy, working towards my degree and continuing to support my teammates, as I know they will continue to support me.”

Young, who played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes this past season and recorded 43 tackles and two interceptions, has received an abundance of support from teammates, coaches and Miami alumni.

The Fort Lauderdale native was one of Miami’s best defensive backs in 2017 and received national attention as the first Hurricane to wear the Turnover Chain back in the season-opening 41-13 victory over Bethune-Cookman Sept. 2.

The University of Miami medical team will perform Young’s surgery.

“While we’re disappointed that Malek’s football career is over, his health is our top priority,” head coach Mark Richt said. “Malek is a terrific young man, one who I’m confident will go on to accomplish great things. He will remain on full scholarship, and we will support him every step of the way.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...