Baseball, Cover, Sports

Canes lose top freshman for 8-10 weeks

Miami freshman right-handed pitcher Christopher McMahon underwent surgery the week of Jan. 14 to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

At the team’s first day of spring practice available to the media Friday, Jan. 26, head coach Jim Morris confirmed the reports and said McMahon is expected to miss 8-10 weeks, leading to a late March or early April return.

The freshman suffered the injury during offseason workouts in his hometown of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound freshman was the No. 100-ranked prospect heading into the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft, according to MLBPipeline.com

The Bayard Rustin High School product was selected in the 33rd round of the draft by the Atlanta Braves, but decided to honor his commitment with the University of Miami. He posted a record of 8-0 with a 0.77 ERA as a senior, striking out 83 batters in 54.1 innings.

McMahon is expected to compete for a spot in the Hurricanes’ starting rotation once he returns.

The Canes were ranked No. 9 in the Perfect Game preseason top 25 poll and garnered a No. 20 ranking by College Baseball Newspaper.

UM returns a group of 15 letterwinners from the 2017 season and added a recruiting class ranked No. 8 by Baseball America.

Miami begins its 2018 campaign with a three-game series against Rutgers on Feb.16-18 at Mark Light Field.

This will be the 25th and final season for Morris as head coach.

Josh White

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...