Baseball, Cover, Sports

Canes lose top freshman for 8-10 weeks

Miami freshman right-handed pitcher Christopher McMahon underwent surgery the week of Jan. 14 to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

At the team’s first day of spring practice available to the media Friday, Jan. 26, head coach Jim Morris confirmed the reports and said McMahon is expected to miss 8-10 weeks, leading to a late March or early April return.

The freshman suffered the injury during offseason workouts in his hometown of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound freshman was the No. 100-ranked prospect heading into the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft, according to MLBPipeline.com

The Bayard Rustin High School product was selected in the 33rd round of the draft by the Atlanta Braves, but decided to honor his commitment with the University of Miami. He posted a record of 8-0 with a 0.77 ERA as a senior, striking out 83 batters in 54.1 innings.

McMahon is expected to compete for a spot in the Hurricanes’ starting rotation once he returns.

The Canes were ranked No. 9 in the Perfect Game preseason top 25 poll and garnered a No. 20 ranking by College Baseball Newspaper.

UM returns a group of 15 letterwinners from the 2017 season and added a recruiting class ranked No. 8 by Baseball America.

Miami begins its 2018 campaign with a three-game series against Rutgers on Feb.16-18 at Mark Light Field.

This will be the 25th and final season for Morris as head coach.

Josh White

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...