What kind of impression has this first semester left on the Class of 2021?

During O-week, we all sat in the Watsco Center with the people who would soon become our beloved roommates, classmates, friends and, for some, significant others. We were taught spirit chants, told about the greatness of UM, and, most importantly, learned that “your education belongs to U.”

We sat wide-eyed, pondering the possibilities of this new chapter – but we never imagined that a major hurricane would hit and force us to leave our new home just a few weeks after we arrived. We didn’t we think the term “hurrication” would become an essential part of our vocabulary. One (almost) undefeated football season and an A$AP Ferg concert later, we were able to overcome the effects of Hurricane Irma and make the most of our first semester at the U.

As we prepare to take on spring semester, it seems impossible that it was only four months ago that we first left our homes to become adults. For the UM Class of 2021, the unconventional nature of this semester has made it that much more special, while simultaneously reminding us that it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, regardless of the situation.

Andrea Illan is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science.

Andrea Illan

Women’s soccer World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe urged University of Miami students to fight for equa ...

Engineering and business professors met with officials from the City of North Bay Village and Miami- ...

University of Miami and Miami Dade County Public Schools educators say bringing mental health inform ...

The School of Architecture and College of Engineering are offering new master’s programs to train th ...

Ian Diaz Brannon is the recipient of the Jenkins Scholarship, a full-tuition scholarship awarded to ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.