What items should be on every UM student’s bucket list?

Let’s not sugarcoat it: college can be stressful. We have grades to maintain, more extracurriculars than elements on the periodic table and no parents around to advise us that 10 successive all-nighters might not be the wisest study strategy.

To counteract stress, I have been composing a bucket list chock-full of unproductive activities that are nevertheless completely worthwhile.

First, go to a shelter and spend some time petting dogs and cats. I checked this one off early on this year, and it was wonderfully therapeutic. Being surrounded by toucans, flamingos and toddler-sized iguanas certainly has its charm, but every so often, it’s nice to be with the sweet, domesticated animals we know and love.

Second, drive to Orlando and visit Disney World. Is there anyone at UMiami who doesn’t have this on their bucket list? Shamelessly love Disney and spontaneously take the four-hour drive to see Mickey while you’re still young, if you can afford it. Florida residents get a discount.

Lastly, explore Miami Beach. Flooded with Cuban music, fried plantains of all varieties and crystal blue waves, there is truly nowhere else like it.

When schoolwork and exams are at their peak, go and explore all this region has to offer. It just might do you more good than that 11th all-nighter.

Dana Munro is a sophomore majoring in musical theater.

Dana Munro

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...