What do we take for granted at The U?

Too many times, we get so caught up in our daily schedule that we don’t appreciate our unique campus. Obviously, it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, but what aspects of The U do we actually take for granted – and not realize until our days at UM have come and gone?

One such feature is the school’s ambiance. For some, it’s the serenity: the view of the lake from the second-floor terrace in the Shalala Student Center, sitting in the shade of the orange umbrellas on the UC Patio or relaxing on the moss steps on the edge of Lake Osceola. Since we live in Miami, we’re also able to take advantage of the sunny weather year-round and enjoy gorgeous sunsets every day. That is, when it’s not raining. But for some reason, even during the hurricane season’s torrential downpours, our campus still looks just as gorgeous.

Our campus has a unique culture. We’re friends with international students, we hear foreign languages as we walk to class and we see the hustle and bustle of the always-packed, aromatic farmers market on Wednesdays, which comes rain or shine.

Summer Singh is a junior majoring in public health.

Summer Singh

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...