What do we take for granted at The U?

Too many times, we get so caught up in our daily schedule that we don’t appreciate our unique campus. Obviously, it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, but what aspects of The U do we actually take for granted – and not realize until our days at UM have come and gone?

One such feature is the school’s ambiance. For some, it’s the serenity: the view of the lake from the second-floor terrace in the Shalala Student Center, sitting in the shade of the orange umbrellas on the UC Patio or relaxing on the moss steps on the edge of Lake Osceola. Since we live in Miami, we’re also able to take advantage of the sunny weather year-round and enjoy gorgeous sunsets every day. That is, when it’s not raining. But for some reason, even during the hurricane season’s torrential downpours, our campus still looks just as gorgeous.

Our campus has a unique culture. We’re friends with international students, we hear foreign languages as we walk to class and we see the hustle and bustle of the always-packed, aromatic farmers market on Wednesdays, which comes rain or shine.

Summer Singh is a junior majoring in public health.

Summer Singh

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...