Campus Life, News

News Briefs: Week of 12/11

Pancakes with Pat

When: 9-10 p.m. Dec. 13

Where: Space between Shalala Student Center and Food Court

The last couple of weeks of school are hard for many people. If you’re looking for an energy boost, fuel yourself with free pancakes and hot chocolate with Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely. She will be joined by members of Student Government, Omicron Delta Kappa and ‘Canes Care for ‘Canes. All food and beverages are free.

K[no]w More

When: Dec. 13

Shirt distribution noon to 5 p.m. Dec. 12 in UC Breezeway

Where: University of Miami campuses

An initiative created by UM students Evelyn Mangold and Maddie Xilas, the K[no]w More campaign will look to bring hundreds of women on campus together to wear matching shirts with the slogan K[no]w More. The campaign seeks to demand the university do more to support and educate the community about sexual assault. There have been nearly 300 orders for shirts which will be distributed on Dec. 12 in the UC Breezeway. Extra shirts will be available for purchase.

PAMM Free Community Night: Tech Takeover

When: 6-9 p.m. Jan. 4

Where: Pérez Art Museum Miami

The PAMM will host a showcase of Miami’s tech startups. The night will include presentations from different businesses using technologies in different ways to transform the community, such as Breeze Creative, an interactive experience design company, and Code/Art Miami, a non-profit organization working to increase the number of girls studying computer science. The event is part of a weekend-long tech takeover seeking to merge art and technology.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...